newbie's 20 chickens killed by neighbors dog/moving new replacements/appreciate tips

Hi Guys,
Newbie here, altho I've been lurking for years. As my title says, my 20 [just starting to lay] chickens were slaughtered by a couple of my neighbor's dogs [separate story] and I found some replacements on CL that are about the same age but need some TLC and more space. I asked the seller if he would give me a week to repair damage and sterilize my large enclosure and wondering if anyone can offer some tips on moving 20 [5 month old] birds and cause the least amount of stress.
It's only a 30 minute drive, so I was thinking it would be less stressful and easier to catch just after dark. Any other tips??
Thanks in advance.
After dark is best, move in a suv, or pu with shell, leave in moving cage till 1st light then transfer to new enclosure/ yard with scattered scratch grain.. The same watering system as they had, you can switch later if needed.. We have lost too many, turkey's gullet ripped opened and survived a few days.. The wife had her little silkie on her lap feeding her a little mac and cheese, next morning a dog got it.. Now, if it isn't our dog, I shoot it.. Most/ many states permit the protection of livestock as such..

Back
Top Bottom