newbie's 20 chickens killed by neighbors dog/moving new replacements/appreciate tips

Welcome to BYC. First fortify your pen and coop. Hotwire is a great mammalian deterrent. Have multiple crates/pens for transportation and do not overcrowd them. Piling up and suffocation can happen. Catching at night, depending upon the cooping arrangements, is easier, but I prefer to move birds when they can see what is going on and are less likely to panic and pile up.

Welcome to BYC. That's a real bummer about your flock. I hope the neighbors are at the very least reimbursing you for the chickens, and making an effort to keep their animals on their property.

As far as your question goes, it's really the seller's job to catch the chickens, not yours. If you are getting a good deal, then maybe it is worth it. If you do transport in the daytime, cover the cages you transport them in with towels. If it's at night, you might leave them in their cages until morning-- less traumatizing than being introduced to a new coop in the darkness.

Make sure you sterilize everything. Don't miss a spot, and get the feeders, waterers, roosts, nest boxes, and everything else.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies and good to know that most are in agreement on night trip. And thanks for your wishes. Really sad when you raise them from day old and name them.
The owner of the killer dogs gave me an 'ever so insincere' apology and a lowball offer, but I'm holding the 'trump' card by calling the cops and having it on record with lots of pics and 2 other neighbor's experiences. She'll loose them if it goes to court for sure.
In another life we transported full grown chx in gunny sacks, but it was only 5 minutes, but this time, I'll go for big cardboard boxes with air holes.
Any thoughts about how much 20 6 month old just starting to lay.........healthy, well cared for and Mcmurary's 'best brown egg layers'??
$100 [not counting my labor] damage to the coop.?

Thanks for the replies and good to know that most are in agreement on night trip. And thanks for your wishes. Really sad when you raise them from day old and name them.
The owner of the killer dogs gave me an 'ever so insincere' apology and a lowball offer, but I'm holding the 'trump' card by calling the cops and having it on record with lots of pics and 2 other neighbor's experiences. She'll loose them if it goes to court for sure.
In another life we transported full grown chx in gunny sacks, but it was only 5 minutes, but this time, I'll go for big cardboard boxes with air holes.
Any thoughts about how much 20 6 month old just starting to lay.........healthy, well cared for and Mcmurary's 'best brown egg layers'??
$100 [not counting my labor] damage to the coop.?
$400.00 minimum.

Back
Top Bottom