Newborn baby chick help!!!

jbake

Chirping
6 Years
May 19, 2013
Ok so my neighbors are jerks and had this newborn baby chick out on the ground in cold air no momma hen nor a heat lamp and he just kept on peeping so after I found him I brought him home and have in in a towel drinking water with probiotics and some mushed up bread soaked in almond milk he is eating and drinking all on his own but he is infested with mites or lice idk which but I was wondering if and how I can get rid of them or doi have to wait till he's older? Is the food he's eating ok? I just don't have any chick food because my chicks are not chicks anymore. But he seems like he will make it. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:
You are doing what you can with what you have, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!
I'd get some chick food as soon as you can though, and as for the unwelcome hitchhikers on him, I'm not sure about what you can use on a young chick. At the least, I'd try giving him a warm bath with some tear free baby shampoo or something similar to see if that'd help. Wait a bit though until he's gotten his strength back and is really getting better. Good luck and good save! :)

You are doing what you can with what you have, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!
I'd get some chick food as soon as you can though, and as for the unwelcome hitchhikers on him, I'm not sure about what you can use on a young chick. At the least, I'd try giving him a warm bath with some tear free baby shampoo or something similar to see if that'd help. Wait a bit though until he's gotten his strength back and is really getting better. Good luck and good save! :)
thank you so much and I will he is already starting to run around I might try that bath tomorrow though. Thank you again!

Last edited:
thank you so much and I will he is already starting to run around I might try that bath tomorrow though. Thank you again!

Good to hear! And very welcome! Yes, I'd wait til tomorrow to try the bath, just make sure to keep your finger under his chin, I've had newly hatched chicks fall asleep and nosedive into warm water, lol. :)

Are you doing anything wrong?? I don't think you're doing anything wrong with the chick care, but have you considered telling the neighbors the chick was out alone? Perhaps they didn't know it wondered away from their hen. My last broody lost a chick(I had to assume predator, but now I need to wonder about grabby neighbors) If one of my friendly neighbors "saved" a chick that got lost from my broody(IN MY YARD), I'd be ****** if they just claimed it and didn't tell me. In any case, glad the chick is ok. But please discuss with he owner of chick.

Back
Top Bottom