Newborn Chick Twisting neck and Twitching

Cats Critters

Completely Indecisive
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Clarion County, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Newly arrived SLW she is twisting her neck at this weird angle and twitching randomly. Drinking seems to trigger it sometimes but it can come on randomly. Looks like her head is on backwards and she chirps loudly while it's happening.

No other abnormalities that I can see. When not twisted she moves fine and is active. When twisted she falls easily if bumped or if she tries to move. She is drinking but I haven't witnessed her eating yet but I could have easily missed it. None of the other chicks or ducks that arrived with her show any symptoms.
20190424_192354.jpg

Oh and despite looking tiny in the picture she is normal sized just being housed with older chicks.

Any ideas on cause or treatment? I know I need to confirm that she is eating but I'm not sure what else to do for her.

From your description of the symptoms, it sounds like it could be wry neck. @Yorkshire Coop's article provides detailed information about the condition, including possible causes and treatments. I would start administering a supplement with vitamins E & B, as well as selenium (per the article), as well as making sure she's not bullied (separate her if needed to keep her safe).

Best wishes for your chick's recovery!

Back
Top Bottom