Newborn chick's leg turned sideways!

Weasleymum

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Virginia
My broody's eggs just hatched (last night and this morning) and one of the chick's legs is all wrong. It looks like it's turned sideways, going out instead of down. It's hard to tell, but I think this same chick was getting around fine a few hours ago-- maybe mama hen stepped on him or something? Is there anything I can do, or would it be more humane to put it down? :(

My broody's eggs just hatched (last night and this morning) and one of the chick's legs is all wrong. It looks like it's turned sideways, going out instead of down. It's hard to tell, but I think this same chick was getting around fine a few hours ago-- maybe mama hen stepped on him or something? Is there anything I can do, or would it be more humane to put it down? :(
There are some leg deformities such as a rotated femur or tibia that are not fixable usually, and a slipped achilles tendon which sometimes can be fixed. Always put chicks with leg problems on vitamins (especially thiamine and riboflavin) until you know what is wrong. Does the chick sit on it's hocks or have a clawed foot or toes? Here is some reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/756556/slipped-tendon-splayed-leg-confused
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...femur-going-to-avian-vet-tomorrow-please-read
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Reprinted from The Poultry Site:
VALGUS/VARUS
DEVIATIONS OF
TIBIA OR FEMUR
The leg is deformed such that
the limb or part of the limb
deviates laterally or medially
which, in severe cases, makes
walking difficult. The tibia or
femur may bend inwards or
outwards. The leg may
deviate to such an extent
that injury results when the
bird is caught and handled at
depletion. This causes the
carcase to be downgraded or
even rejected.
ABNORMAL
ROTATION
The leg bones (ie tibia or
femur), twist during growth
so that the lower leg is
held out of normal
alignment. In severe cases,
walking can be difficult.
The abnormal shape of the
leg may cause the bird to
be injured at catching or
when handled at the
processing plant, resulting
in downgrading.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! After looking at the various pictures, I determined that it was not spraddle leg but a deformity of some kind... My DH had to cull it this morning. We've lost many birds to various factors before, but this is the first time we had to do it ourselves... difficult.

So sorry for your loss. These leg deformities are tough to deal with. Many people report that they try to let the chicks get along as well as they can, but there comes a time when the chicken is not able to live a good life, that putting them down is the best decision. You may want to supplement your chickens with a good vitamin/mineral product such as Avian Super Pack that can be added to the water several days a week since many bone deformities can result from choline or manganese deficiency, and those deficiencies will show up in chicks.

Thank you, Eggcessive and iwiw60! I don't think the poor little guy would have lasted more than another few days if we hadn't euthanized him, was having a lot of difficulty getting to the food and water on his own. I have been putting Nutridrench in their water, just to be on the safe side re: nutrients. The other 7 chicks seem very healthy and normal.

Thank you, Eggcessive and iwiw60! I don't think the poor little guy would have lasted more than another few days if we hadn't euthanized him, was having a lot of difficulty getting to the food and water on his own. I have been putting Nutridrench in their water, just to be on the safe side re: nutrients. The other 7 chicks seem very healthy and normal.
If you can find Durvet, Avian Super Pak, or other brand of poultry vitamins to use that contain riboflavin or vitamin B2, it would be best. I just realized that Nutridrench for poultry does have that one vitamin for some odd reason.

Back
Top Bottom