Newcastle Disease - euthanasia?

brideofchaos

Songster
5 Years
May 2, 2015
Magnolia, KY
Hi, y'all,

One of my feedstore Speckled Sussex chicks has what appears to be Newcastle (twisting neck, looking up sideways). She breathes a LITTLE heavy but nothing outrageous. She drinks and eats and gets around fine. We just noted the neck yesterday. I know some say it can be Marek's that presents this way, too. She shares a brood tub with just 5 other chicks, who are showing no adverse signs. No one has snot noses, or anything else. I've read that mortality can range widely from 10-80% and sometimes warming up the brood pen by about 5 degrees can help. Have any of you ever had a chick/bird get better from Newcastle? If she's otherwise doing well, should I give her a few days with warmer environment or just perform euthanasia? I know it's transmissible (short distances), but she has no respiratory issues where I think it will be as transmissible as it would be if she had running nose or coughing. Just hate to put her down if she has a chance.

Never had a bird with Newcastle, so am at a loss on how to handle. Years ago, had a feedstore chick with Marek's and didn't present like this at all.

Thoughts?
Wendy

where are you from? I heard from someone on here that Newcastle isn't in the US, so if you're here, you don't have to worry about that particular disease. Have you checked out/compared symptoms of wry neck to whats going on with your chick?

I'm in Edgewood, NM....outside of Albuquerque, in the Sandia Mountains. I've compared the symptoms and the only thing that specifically mentioned the twisty neck (she does have range of motion to both sides but typically holds it in one twist most of the time, unless she's drinking/eating. It's not injury related. I manipulated her neck gently. Nothing is out of place or painful to her. Other than her funky neck, she appears fine. I've had her for about a week and it just appeared yesterday. No respiratory discharges, coughing, none of that. What else could it be? *scratching my head*

Welcome to BYC
The answer is categorically NO!
Does she showing any nervous symptoms? (Drooping wings, draggy leg?twisted neck?)
You should keep her warm, well fed( som crushed boiled egg, tuna fish,yogurt) ,you can give her supplemental vitamins but the must important is to monitor her condition for secondary bacterial infection particularly air-sac disease. If it will happen antibiotic treatment should be taken in consideration. About the rest of the flock you should monitor carefully their situation for the next 7-15 days.

Last edited:
Ty for the advice! She has no other symptoms, other than a little heavy breathing (observed from above) but nothing very obvious (I'm just anal). So apparently it might be just a vitamin deficiency according to an article I just found on "Wry neck". I'm keeping her with the 3 poults and 2 other Sussex that she's been with for the last week. Separately from my other chicks. And keeping the lamp on her. Will get some vitamins for her and let you all know how she does. :)

Thought y'all would appreciate an update. My little Sussex pullet has pulled through swimmingly from "Wry Neck". She had a couple direct droplets of vitamins...plus extra added to her drinking water plus extra Vitamin E from my capsules at home. She's still slightly spastic when she gets excited (running in circles) but her head is upright and she's extra-friendly (standard for a Sussex but am sure the extra attention didn't hurt lol).

Thanks for all the great advice. Am so glad it was NOT Newcastle. Lessons learned for sure. :)

Wendy

Thought y'all would appreciate an update.  My little Sussex pullet has pulled through swimmingly from "Wry Neck".  She had a couple direct droplets of vitamins...plus extra added to her drinking water plus extra Vitamin E from my capsules at home.  She's still slightly spastic when she gets excited (running in circles) but her head is upright and she's extra-friendly (standard for a Sussex but am sure the extra attention didn't hurt lol).

Thanks for all the great advice.  Am so glad it was NOT Newcastle.  Lessons learned for sure. :)

Wendy

That's great!!! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom