Newly hatched chick can’t stand

Coolbreeze89

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2018
Central Texas
I had three eggs that a broody abandoned. I doubted they were viable, as I found them on a cold day, but I put them in the incubator. Two weeks later: two hatched last night (third has pipped). One is great, one won’t stand. Vigorous and alert, moves both legs and wings but can’t stand, just lies on its side. I’ve held it and tried to keep upright, which he seems to do well with. When I set him back in brooder box, I leaned him against the side, but he clapped and ended up on his side. I’ve searched forums, and am adding some crushed B vitamins to water. I checked my stock, and I have goat nutra drench but not poultry. Is this ok?

My question: does this look like spraddle leg? I’ve read on poultry podiatry about splinting, but I’ve never done it. Just looking for some experienced opinion before I tape the little guy up. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• F33D8DB9-B452-4B31-B660-E8514915B051.jpeg
    F33D8DB9-B452-4B31-B660-E8514915B051.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 72
It just looks weak, not like spraddle leg. Dip it’s beak in the water often. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench would be a good alternative, a few drops orally. Try to make a chick chair to get it upright, using it ‘s legs. A coffee cup with some padding works well.
The little chick is doing great today! I checked on it every hour or do in my chick chair. After a few hours, it had wriggled its legs up and was pushing to get out...I put it down, and it didn’t flop over! Still a bit wobbly, but symmetric. This morning, toddling around with his hatch mate. Thanks!!

I had a similar experience when I hatched a chick out of an egg myself (It was last resort). So it came out very weak and not active, struggling to keep its balance. So I got a pack of Save-A-Chick and mixed it with water and gave it to the whole batch of chicks, the next day it was as active as everyone else, and today she's doing great. Just a thought.

The little chick is doing great today! I checked on it every hour or do in my chick chair. After a few hours, it had wriggled its legs up and was pushing to get out...I put it down, and it didn’t flop over! Still a bit wobbly, but symmetric. This morning, toddling around with his hatch mate. Thanks!!

Happy the baby is going good!!! :wee

Back
Top Bottom