Newly Hatched Chick Gunk Stuck (Pics included)

JFreeman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 23, 2012
Texarkana, Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I had a late hatcher this morning, and this "gunk" was still stuck. I know the "gunk" will usually stick to the shell or fall off not long after hatch. Not this one, and it even still has a piece of the shell still attached. Upon further inspection, I see it has a bulbous red (best way I can describe) mole. After a few hours, and it dried, I tried to ease the gunk off to get a better view, and it started bleeding. I instantly stopped and set it back in the brooder separated from the other chicks so no one can peck and make it worse. It walks fine, it doesn't act like it's in pain. I don't know what to do, exactly....

This isn't the vent. The vent is normal.

Thanks for looking.

edit: I found she has a rough naval. What do I do? All I find about solving the problem is to adjust the humidity and temperatures, but nothing about what to do for the chick...

Last edited:
It would seem like its the umbilical cord. Usually it takes a few days to fall off, but it should on its own. If its the vent, and looks like pasty butt, I would soak it in warm water and gently rub it until the stool falls off. Dont pick at it though

It should. It also kind of looks like that green/yellow stuff is the yolk it's still absorbing, so it should dry up and fall off on it's own

Back
Top Bottom