newly hatched chick is bleeding from butt..

wendy3k

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
I took a newly hatched chick from the incubator. There was blood in the incubator wherever he moved before I took him out. Could he have punctured himself on a piece of sharp shell? there was a small piece stuck in the wire. It hasn't stopped bleeding after 15 minutes. I did put neosporin on it, but probably most of it came off on the towel I've been carrying him around in.
This is a silkie, if it makes any difference.
What shall I do? Don't have any of the bleeding stop stuff, but do have corn flour/starch. Is that useful?
HELP!

I would use the corn flour starch....to try to stop the bleeding. I would also dip it's beak in some poultry vitamin or gator aid once it drys off. Sometimes when the humidity is high and the break from the egg shell their navel has not dried out enough and it bleeds. They can bleed out if it's a lot.

Thank you! The bleeding has stopped. The chick is weak & sleepy, but I dipped it's beak into sweetened water. However, I used honey rather than suger since it has natural antibiotic properties. Is that OK? I haven't read anything saying that honey is bad for chickens. It's sleeping now, and I regularly give him a bit more of the sweet water to replenish his lost fluids. Will keep him separate from the other hatchlings until I'm sure he's healed.
Again - Thank You!

I'm glad your chicky stopped bleeding, it's obvious you really care about it!

Fowl (chickens in particular) are actually one of the most susceptible to Botulism.

Honey has many, many botulinum endospores in it

I don't know if honey is bad for chicks, but just with the above facts alone, I probably would stay away from it and stick to regular sugar water (because I'm overprotective). Honey might be completely harmless to chickens but with an ingredient list like that, I just wouldn't.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom