newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenCat, Nov 23, 2010.

1. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    I gave up trying to break my broody BOs. And set eggs under them. 2 within a day of each other. Hatching started Friday, last one hatched yesterday. Out of 20 eggs only 10 hatched. The first chicks hatched took up with momma #2. She now has all 10. Momma #1 that hatched the first ones is still sitting on 5 eggs (which I am going to remove tonight). Here's pics of the proud daddys and Pearl with her 10.
    Stubby - Black Astralorp
    [​IMG]
    Rocky - buff Orpington
    [​IMG]
    Pearl and the chickies
    [​IMG]
    Babies in the starter feed.
    [​IMG]

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

They are so adorable [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Congrats!
    Nice looking' daddies!
    Adorable babies with Momma.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    VERY CUTE!!! [​IMG]

Just thought I'd let you know that the yellow chicks are Buff Orp purebreds. The black coloring is very dominant. [​IMG]

5. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Thanks! I'm sure the 2 yellow chicks are BO purebreds. And several of the Black astralorps are easy to see. However, there are 3 that are crossbred, they have chipmunk coloring on their faces. (And please don't tell me that my little old english bantam rooster is the daddy![​IMG]) But i noticed on what I had assumed to be purebred BAs that their legs are black and yellow. doesn't matter to me. I had intentions of crossing the BO with the BA, that's why I got the BOs this year. I think will be a good cross for our needs. But these chicks are adorable and seem to be very hearty.

6. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    They are SUPER cute and everyone seems so healthy! Your BO rooster is gorgeous [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by