Newly hatched ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blueyedmomma26, Apr 20, 2019.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ducklings can take a couple days to fully hatch from the time they pip. I let my broodies handle it. If they leave eggs, then I’ll check them and incubate then if still viable, but the broody should be able to handle the hatching. She will also keep them plenty warm, even in very cold conditions.
    I observe for ones that may get away from her and not find their way back, but usually they stay right close to her.

2. Blueyedmomma26

Blueyedmomma26 In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2019
    20190419_175826.jpg
    The one that is halfway out in this pic is currently completely out has been for almost 3 days but still not up walking. He will move his head wings ands feet but not up on them yet. The others are still how they are in the pic havent come out of the eggs yet. Yes they have been moved to an incubator and I have been dripping some water for the one that is out of the egg completely.

Pyxis likes this.
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm seeing a lot of blood; is this a recent picture? If no, can you get a recent picture? The ducklings in that picture don't look ready to hatch, but it sounds like this picture might be from three days ago? Did the ducklings do all that chipping away of the shells themselves or do you think the broody opened the shells that much?

Is the one that's out now okay in terms of the yolk? Was it all absorbed and everything?

WVduckchick and Jpat like this.
  4. Blueyedmomma26

Apr 20, 2019
    Ok 2 of them have completely hatch but he others are still halfway hatched as you can see in the reply below. Its been almost 3 days since they first started. They are still alive but not hatching anymore.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Have you, since the last picture, put anything on their membranes such as coconut oil or bacitracin, to keep it moist and so that you can see how much absorbing they have left to do?

6. Blueyedmomma26

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes all yolk has been absorbed. When I went to work they where barley cracked and thats how I found them when I got home. They stayed in front of a heater unroll i got the incubator working. The one that is out is still the same he is moving and piping but thats it. This is a current pic the 2nd one came out yesterday and is moving more than the 1st.

Attached Files:

7. Blueyedmomma26

Apr 20, 2019
    No I havent I am completely new to hatching

Pyxis likes this.
  8. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So are they in an incubator now? If so, what's the temperature in it?

Can you take a flashlight and candle down near the end of the egg? You may have to look around a bit, but the nice thing about duck eggs is they're easy to see in. You can actually see if the yolk is absorbed through the shell. If you see a yellowish area with veining, they are still absorbing. You may just see an empty area with no veining, which would mean they are closer to hatching.

I would open the egg over the air cell just enough so that when they are ready, they can push themselves out. I detailed how to do this in my assisted hatching guide here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

9. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    No problem, we have all been there :) That's not something you have to do with a normal hatch, but somehow these eggs are open far further than they should be, so this is now an assisted hatch situation. I linked my guide above about what you need to do now.

WVduckchick likes this.
  10. Blueyedmomma26

Apr 20, 2019
    When I left for work they only had the safety hole when I came home they where almost more than halfway open. I put the oil on the ones that aren't fully out yet and it absored really quick. I believe one of them has what the article says is shrinkwraped. But he is peeping and will look at me with his eyes does this mean I need to full assist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: