Newnan, GA. Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Association Show, Feb. 18-19

Bringing some Overberg Mini-ducks from my pair I got from Dave Holderreads to sell too.Bringing 2 pairs, very good setters, lots of eggs, colorful and tame easily. May hatch 2011, pinioned as day olds.
Bringing my Runners and Saxony to show, first time, so should be a lot to learn. Now all I have to wrangle 7 ducks into the house to take a bath.....which is not big dea for a duck, it's the cleanup afterwards I am not looking forward too!!!!
gig.gif

Do you have a picture or description of the overberg mini ducks?

This will be our first time around poultry ever. We have almost completed our coop and run. We live about an hour away, and the kids are begging to go get a couple of silkies. I need to talk chickens with y'all, and gather anymore info I may need. Gonna pick up some supplies, etc..
Trying to recover from a surgery last week, so that has slowed my finishing up the coop. Planning on letting them keep a couple baby silkies and maybe a couple others in the unfinished part of the basement.
I would also like a couple OEGB Brassy Backs. If anybody has some or could tell me who to look for, it would be greatly appreciated.
See y'all

Y'all, what happens when this rain/storm comes in after noon? Is there indoor space for all the chickens? I was looking at last year's photos and it appears much of this show is outside. My family and i are coming from the Auburn area in Alabama and this is our first EVER poultry show. We've been looking forward to it since we learned about it 6 weeks ago. Now i'm eyeballing the weather and worrying about it.

Thanks, Hiltop. I hope everything goes well today! My family and I will probably wait and come next year. We've been traveling all week and I don't think anyone (except me) wants to drive another 72 miles this morning to try to beat the rain. :)

well,how did everybody like it?

it may be just me but i have a hard time in the sale area.it seems to be alot of people just trying to make a few bucks and its not about the chickens.i can only stand so many stories of "well now ma'm,this here is a rare kind of barred rock."and if i saw one more person carry chickens by their wings ,i was gonna need someone to bail me out.i did not buy any chickens but if i did,it would have felt like a rescue.
the same reason i no longer go to horse sales.
i am not talking about all the birds and some people had very nice birds for sale. thank you for ,obviously caring about your birds.

i really liked the show pens(i don't know how some of them are treated either)but some of them looked really nice.

next year i am showing at least 5 breeds and i am looking foward to it again.

thanks to all on BYC.

I had a great time! Best show I've been to. Saw alot of great birds, brought home too many! Got some great New Hampshires, a Favorelle roo, and got a couple of RIR hens from Cmom. Only saw one person I questioned the amount of birds he had crammed in cages, but everyone elses birds looked healthy and taken care of. All in all it was a wonderful show! If only I had won the incubator!

I got a different impression, I think the chickens there for the most part are pampered pets and treated very well. I too saw somebody carrying a chicken by its wings. I wouldn't do it but the chicken wasn't complaining so I do know that it was being hurt, but again I wouldn't pick one up like that.

I enjoyed the show and seeing all of the show birds that owners obviously put alot of time and effort into preparing for the show.

Prices for these birds are high, but it's because it takes alot of time and effort to get that quality of chickens I am learning.

I wish there were more shows in the South!

Bobby

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom