newspaper as bedding question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maybejoey, Aug 26, 2011.

1. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I know that news paper is not good for chick bedding. B ut is shredded newspaper bad too. I was planning on making the shredded newspaper about 2 1/2 inches.
    Any and all answers help.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
  2. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    Crumple the shreds a little.
    You want to avoid chicks developing malformed legs, so give them good traction

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

The newspaper is slippery and the printing maybe toxic or at least rub off on them..I would not use it...but that's just me

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't use it. Paper doesn't keep moisture away and damp conditions aren't good for chickens.

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I wouldn't use it. Paper doesn't keep moisture away and damp conditions aren't good for chickens.

I agree 100%. There are too many alternatives to use anything that has negatives.​

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    for the first couple of days I used shavings under paper towels...till they figured out their food then I removed the towels...they love to scratch too much!

I have heard some people using old bath towels also...

7. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I replace it every three days so I wouldnt like to think that there would be too much moister. I get free newspaper in my neighborhood so I pick it up and shred it in my papre shredder.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by