Newtown, Conn School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying this tragedy is part of God's wrath ("maybe it is a greater power than mankind telling us we as a society are very, very disturbed") because we allow abortions is an abomination. If your God punishes the innocent for the sins of others, I want no part of him or of anyone who believes in him. This is not how a benevolent, forgiving, just God works. This is how vengeful, deranged person acts; not a god.

Last edited:
Actually, violent crime is falling on a nationwide level within the US, though there was a rise in 'simple assaults' in 2011. http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/justice/us-violent-crime/index.html Freakonomics has a rather good podcast on the subject.

Video games, movies, and monsters seem to be comforting, easy answers, but that is not an accurate picture of major forces behind crime, or of mass killings. As for the idea that violence has just sprung up suddenly, people seem to forget the tarrings, forced lobotomies, riots, and other violence found in "the good old days". There is cognative dissonance going on too that our culture is somehow both more violent and blood-crazed but also so soft and squishy that anything unpleasant crumples our younger generations into sobbing masses of overprotected snowflakey goodness. I would argue that we have a culture of willfull ignorance.
You almost have a good argument for the the return to those practices. Maybe the people that received those treatments were the ones that are now committing these acts?? hmm??

Saying this tragedy is part of God's wrath ("maybe it is a greater power than mankind telling us we as a society are very, very disturbed") because we allow abortions is an abomination. If your God punishes the innocent for the sins of others, I want no part of him or of anyone who believes in him. This is not how a benevolent, forgiving, just God works. This is how vengeful, deranged person acts; not a god.
If the God and Creator of this universe gives us rules and guidelines to live by and then tells us this is what will happen if you break those laws and rules then the way I understand it is we got it coming. Rules and law are to maintain order in the universe. Maybe we are our brothers keeper...

I am not one that thinks this is "Gods wrath" but I do beleive in reaping and sowing.

Funny how now I said this gods wrath never said that just saying as a society that lets "anything" go what do you really expect. and at least you don't celebrate x-mas if you don't believe a benevolent, forgiving, just god would ever let anyone innocent die on a cross.

Q9...you previously posted your support for these semi automatic assault type weapons making a comparison to the two other types of pistols the killer carried. I know that you are young and maybe in your world you feel that you can view every man, woman and child having an assault rifle and that it is some kind of normal and OK. In my world, it is not what I want and I hope that my viewpoint eventually prevails. It is not an argument to say that some kind of assault weapon ban would not have prevented an act like that done in Newtown. To me, it just is plain common sense and I hope that your next argument is not that it is OK if everyone owned a fully armed F-16.

The picture was posted in another thread called "Political Ramblings"

Two questions:

1) What is your definition "assault-type" weapons?
2) How do you define "arms" or "weapons?"

I ask this because it may be helpful to define our terms before any further discussion. I realized that my definitions do not necessarily match others' definitions, leading to misinterperetation on my part and others.

Even though I am limiting my definition to include only rifles I am not able to provide a specific definition but will, in general terms include those semi automatic rifles that can hold a large clip and are specifically made and designed for combat. See AR15....M-16, etc. I do not include any of the large caliber rifles that would be used specifically for hunting and, again I am not sure how effective a total ban would be, but I am certainly in favor of strict restrictions on who could own them and for what purpose.

Even though I am limiting my definition to include only rifles I am not able to provide a specific definition but will, in general terms include those semi automatic rifles that can hold a large clip and are specifically made and designed for combat. See AR15....M-16, etc. I do not include any of the large caliber rifles that would be used specifically for hunting and, again I am not sure how effective a total ban would be, but I am certainly in favor of strict restrictions on who could own them and for what purpose.

So you're looking at AR-15s and AK-types, and probably M1A/FAL/HK91 rifles as well. Would you include the Ruger Mini-14? While designed as a farm rifle - its designation by Ruger is "ranch rifle" - it CAN hold a high-cap magazine.

What kind of restrictions would you be in favor of? I totally agree with violent felons being unable to purchase firearms, as they have voluntarily forfeited their right by abusing it.

Also, I want to apologize to others on this thread; I've gotten rather worked up (I do love my guns, and it's a subject I'm passionate about), but having taken a break and come back, I realized that several of my comments were unnecessarily sarcastic. I stand by the content, but I apologize for the snark. I should be more respectful on a thread about this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom