Niacin Deficiency?

I’m feeding them Purina flock starter which does not have niacin in it, which is why I was putting the packets in their water, but after reading these comments, I’ll definitely be running to the feed store tomorrow to get the liquid vitamin B!
I feed Purina FR too. As a safety measure I put a bit of brewers yeast in the food every few days.

Pigeon foot is a common sign of a B3 deficiency, I'd definitely start them on the cattle B injectable as soon as you can, Dosage is 1ml a day, can be spread out over treats or administer orally with an eyedropper or small syringe. I'd avoid putting it in water since you don't know how much they are actually drinking and since they like to spill half of the water container as well.

Purina Flock raiser does have Niacin in it, but as a preventative measure for your other duckling's adding Brewers yeast or a poultry vitamin to there feed/water would be great.
Also, how often do I give it to them? And for how long? I’ll start to put it in their water once they’re better, but how long do I give it to them directly?

Once you see recovery switch them over to Nutritional Yeast or Brewers yeast daily until 10 weeks old this is what is rec in Storeys guide to raising ducks. This is their big growing time. So liquid b complex until you see recovery then keep it up for another 2-3 days the switch over to the NY or BY 1 tab to each cup of feed. I prefer Nutritional yeast since it’s flake it stays over the feed better. And has more niacin than BY. But get them on the liquid ASAP.

Once you see recovery switch them over to Nutritional Yeast or Brewers yeast daily until 10 weeks old this is what is rec in Storeys guide to raising ducks. This is their big growing time. So liquid b complex until you see recovery then keep it up for another 2-3 days the switch over to the NY or BY 1 tab to each cup of feed. I prefer Nutritional yeast since it’s flake it stays over the feed better. And has more niacin than BY. But get them on the liquid ASAP.
Oh, the "brewers yeast" I have is probably nutritional yeast then because its flakes. Anyway I use whatever that is, lol. Thanks @Miss Lydia for your help with the OP's duckling :)

About 2 days. I always saw rapid results, and mine were walking totally normally with in an hour. Mine had it bad too.
Okay, perfect. How long do I put it in their water? Until a certain age or their whole lives? Like I said, I’m totally new to this so I apologize for all the silly questions, you all have been super helpful, I just want the best for these babies! ☺️

Back
Top Bottom