Niacin Deficiency?

ShyanneW

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
Maine
Hi all!

I have had my ducklings since Wednesday (it is now Saturday night), and have noticed in the last two days, my ducklings are stumbling occasionally when they walk, and are stepping on their own feet because their feet are starting to cross over each other. One is worse than the other two, and he/she has been laying down a lot.

I got some niacin tablets tonight to sprinkle in their food, and I was already putting an electrolyte packet in their water which contains some niacin, which I will continue to do.

Looking for a second (or third, or fourth) opinion. Is it a niacin deficiency? Can they recover? Are there other things I can be doing to help these babies?

Hi all!

I have had my ducklings since Wednesday (it is now Saturday night), and have noticed in the last two days, my ducklings are stumbling occasionally when they walk, and are stepping on their own feet because their feet are starting to cross over each other. One is worse than the other two, and he/she has been laying down a lot.

I got some niacin tablets tonight to sprinkle in their food, and I was already putting an electrolyte packet in their water which contains some niacin, which I will continue to do.

Looking for a second (or third, or fourth) opinion. Is it a niacin deficiency? Can they recover? Are there other things I can be doing to help these babies?
I would stop the electrolytes, it's not good to do them for that long. Are the niacin tablets "non-flush" or slow release? If so, don't use them. Can you get some of this? @Miss Lydia can help you with the dosage. It works miracles. You can get it at any feed store.
Screenshot_2020-03-28-20-59-58.png

Yeah. It's a niacin deficiency for sure. What are you feeding them?
I’m feeding them Purina flock starter which does not have niacin in it, which is why I was putting the packets in their water, but after reading these comments, I’ll definitely be running to the feed store tomorrow to get the liquid vitamin B!

Last edited:
Thank you SO much everyone, I’m new to this, so I’m going off of internet/Real life references, and trying to figure it all out. I’ll definitely be running to TSC in the morning to get the liquid vitamin B as opposed to the capsules.

I would stop the electrolytes, it's not good to do them for that long. Are the niacin tablets "non-flush" or slow release? If so, don't use them. Can you get some of this? @Miss Lydia can help you with the dosage. It works miracles. You can get it at any feed store.
View attachment 2066063
Thank you! I’m definitely curious about dosage, someone below said to dose liberally on food or water, but I’ve read that it is possible to overdose them on it - which is obviously not what I’m trying to do ... lol

Pigeon foot is a common sign of a B3 deficiency, I'd definitely start them on the cattle B injectable as soon as you can, Dosage is 1ml a day, can be spread out over treats or administer orally with an eyedropper or small syringe. I'd avoid putting it in water since you don't know how much they are actually drinking and since they like to spill half of the water container as well.

Purina Flock raiser does have Niacin in it, but as a preventative measure for your other duckling's adding Brewers yeast or a poultry vitamin to there feed/water would be great.

Thank you! I’m definitely curious about dosage, someone below said to dose liberally on food or water, but I’ve read that it is possible to overdose them on it - which is obviously not what I’m trying to do ... lol
It is impossible to overdose on it, and extra is expelled in their urine (urates). Just pour some over some treats like peas or something.

Follow this info 😉
Pigeon foot is a common sign of a B3 deficiency, I'd definitely start them on the cattle B injectable as soon as you can, Dosage is 1ml a day, can be spread out over treats or administer orally with an eyedropper or small syringe. I'd avoid putting it in water since you don't know how much they are actually drinking and since they like to spill half of the water container as well.

Purina Flock raiser does have Niacin in it, but as a preventative measure for your other duckling's adding Brewers yeast or a poultry vitamin to there feed/water would be great.

Back
Top Bottom