Nibbling Neck?

Jun 13, 2022
Hello! I have 2 drakes and recently got them some girls. They have been living next to each other so they can see each other but cant touch. Its been 4 days since we got the girls and we thought we would start to introduce them. All seemed okay, running around together and no big fights either. However I was watching the drakes and sometimes they started to nibble some of the girls necks? Not for long but a few nibbles, is this normal behaviour? The girls didnt seem bothered by it and it didnt look painful but im not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It was very cute 😍 my only worry is that my drakes at 13 weeks old and my girls are 9 weeks old. Is that a problem??
That can be a problem. Younger females are not as strong as older drakes. They can potentially drown females during mating, especially if the females are younger. It is also possible nothing will happen. It really depends on each individual drake. How many females do you have?

That can be a problem. Younger females are not as strong as older drakes. They can potentially drown females during mating, especially if the females are younger. It is also possible nothing will happen. It really depends on each individual drake. How many females do you have?
Hello, I was wondering that. I have 6 girls, 3 from one dad and 3 from another. 1 set of 3 are a good size and are 10 weeks old and the other set of 3 are 9 weeks and much smaller. Its not an issue keeping them seperated until they are bigger but thought I would start supervised visits. They have a proper pond (used to be a paddling pool) and when building it we designed it on the height of the ducks to try and prevent drowning if possible. I hope they wouldnt try but the boys seem very flirty

Hello, I was wondering that. I have 6 girls, 3 from one dad and 3 from another. 1 set of 3 are a good size and are 10 weeks old and the other set of 3 are 9 weeks and much smaller. Its not an issue keeping them seperated until they are bigger but thought I would start supervised visits. They have a proper pond (used to be a paddling pool) and when building it we designed it on the height of the ducks to try and prevent drowning if possible. I hope they wouldnt try but the boys seem very flirty
When they mate, the female flattens out her body and the male grabs her by the neck or head. The often push their head under the water. Older females can shove the drake off better. The main worry is two drakes mounting one female. And they can do it in land and still potentially hurt the females, and even with proper ages this can happen. Personally that is not a ton of females. Some drakes have more sex drive than others. Some will do ok with a couple females, while other need a lot more. Definitely keep an eye out. The drakes mating drive will increase more in the next couple of weeks.

When they mate, the female flattens out her body and the male grabs her by the neck or head. The often push their head under the water. Older females can shove the drake off better. The main worry is two drakes mounting one female. And they can do it in land and still potentially hurt the females, and even with proper ages this can happen. Personally that is not a ton of females. Some drakes have more sex drive than others. Some will do ok with a couple females, while other need a lot more. Definitely keep an eye out. The drakes mating drive will increase more in the next couple of weeks.
Thank you for your advice, is there a mating season as such or is it all year round but stronger at some times. I keep googling it but getting mixed responses

Thank you for your advice, is there a mating season as such or is it all year round but stronger at some times. I keep googling it but getting mixed responses
The spring and summer is the main time for the mating season, but they will mate all year round. Spring and summer is when they have a lot more drive.

Back
Top Bottom