Nice Broody Hen

insmokesimage

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
I have a Silver Phoenix that has decided to sit on some eggs. She has been on them off and on for a week now. She has a total of seven eggs. One is her own, one goose egg and five Golden Sex Link. The weird thing is she is just too nice! Other hens get in the nest, push her to the side (she never leaves) and lays eggs. Is this normal? I have thought about moving her but I am afraid she won't sit on them. Any thoughts???

Sounds very normal - a broody hen wants to collect all the eggs she can get, so will happily allow others to lay in her nest. I usually try to move them to a segregated area to avoid this, but I have a determined hen right now who refuses to brood when I move her and returns to being broody as soon as I let her return to her chosen spot (the favorite nest box). As a result, at the end of every day, there are far more eggs in it than at the beginning. To solve the problem, I marked the eggs I want her to hatch, and at the end of every day I lift her off and collect the unmarked eggs. However if your hen will allow you to move her, your life will be easier.....

Thanks for the info. I have only had chickens for a year and I really enjoy them. I hope she hatches them out! I can't wait to see!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom