Niederrheiner - Birchen Color

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SpiderinAZ, Jan 18, 2016.

1. SpiderinAZ

SpiderinAZ New Egg

Jan 18, 2016
    Greetings!
    I recently saw several photos of a birchen-colored Niederrheiner. I think that this is one of the most beautiful birds I've seen. Now I have many questions: Are they docile? Broody? Cold and/or heat hardy? How many eggs a year? How much do the hens weigh? Nervous? Flighty? Better in confined or free-range area? Most important...Does anyone have a line on a hatchery, or private breeder of this specific color? I'll be willing to travel any distance for fertile eggs or young-hatched.
    I'm currently located in Arizona, but will be retiring in the panhandle region (western portion) of Florida (U.S.A) right near the Gulf ocean, and plan is to have 3-4 hens. The breeze will be present as we are just a few hundred feet off the ocean, but the humidity in the summer is very high.
    This is my first thread, so I hope it works!

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the breed nor have heard of it until now.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I have never heard of that breed either - does it go by any other name? Sounds like the name is German. I am wondering what it would be in English.

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I googled it a couple minutes ago not sure if the color was correct but most of the pictures were of a chicken that has a yellowish gold barring.

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by