Nigerian Dwarf goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Alabama ee, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I was thinking about getting a couple of ND goats. What is a good size at 8 months? I was looking at a couple and they were, to me, small..even for ND. Their doe's weight is 25 lbs. Is that a normal size for this goat?
  2. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I would say that's small especially if they are does and you plan to breed them. If they are pets or a buck then maybe you like small.
  3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I would think at 8 months thats not bad. My smallest doe at 4 years probably only weighs about 45 or 50 pounds. She is small, and a little on the more dairy looking side, but she is healthy. My largest one is a wether who probably weighs about 70 pounds, but he is a little chunky in my opinion.
  4. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    I'd say her weight isn't that bad, either. Is she mixed with a pygmy at all? I have a pb nigerian buckling who's 10 mos old and just barely over the 35lb mark. He's a huge chunky but too....
  5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i don't have a lot of experience, but our 2 year old wether is about 40 pounds, and our 2 year old female is maybe 50 pounds, the younger girl who is a little over a year old is around 30-35 pounds. So 25-30 pounds for an 8 month old seems about right.

i love our Nigerians, they are so much fun.
  6. PuppyBantamCochin

PuppyBantamCochin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    they're probably a little small but... then NDs can be anywhere from 45 to 80pounds. If they're does, and you plan to breed them, then I'd wait at least till their 35-40lbs.
    I had a unreg nigi buck that was 90lbs, and I have a doe that is around 80, but she's deep. My 9month old doeling is probably 35-40lbs. And my 10month old, %75 nigi wether's about 50-55lbs and he has growing to do. My other goats are pygmy/nigis and are between 60 and 75lbs at 3years old.
  7. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    thanks for all your answers! I guess it is an ok size. They are very healthy looking and adorable. I can't wait to get them.[​IMG] l
  8. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Congrats! You will have to post pictures when you bring them home. [​IMG]
  9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have 2 ND wethers, and they are around 7 or 8 months old. I think they probably weigh at least 40 lbs. each, and they are twins, so I thought they would stay a little smaller.[​IMG]This is them at about 4 months old.

[​IMG]Here they are at about 2 months with their little adopted sister, Adia (She's a week older than them!). Namdi is in the middle, and Ajani is on the right.
  10. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Those are too cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by