Night time ritual

amyproto

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Kailua Kona Hawaii
Hi, I'm new to this...so please don't laugh...
I've had my 10week old chicks about a week. My neighbor who hatched them told me for the last couple weeks they have been outside during the day and kept inside for the night.

My question, is it ok to lock them up at night? I converted an old doghouse for them to sleep in and built their run around it to keep predators out during the day and night.

So far, they seem very chatty towards me when I'm about to 'put them to bed'. Once I get all 4 in, 2 scream but 2 go in on their own, they seem to settle and quiet down. After 15 minutes not even a peep is going on.
The next morning around 6am I open up their doghouse to let them out. I tell them good morning and they all pop out to eat and drink...it's so cute!

Any insight would be helpful. I would hate to be doing something traumatizing by locking them in at night...

Thank you!

Your fine just make sure they have enough space and a place to roost. Might try and put the dog house off the ground. They like to be off the ground. These are just my thoughts. Mine took 2 days to go in the coop on there own. Just my 2 cents again

Back
Top Bottom