Nipple waterers?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
If you use the nipple waterers, does the water source have to be air-tight? I'd like to convert a 5g bucket into a waterer for the ducks and chickens. Do I just drill the hole, put the nipple thing in, possibly silicone it, then fill with water, pop the lid on and hang? Anyone have a good source for these nipples?

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=17662

The
key is drilling an 11/16" hole in the bottom of the bucket. 3 work well in the bottom of the bucket, if you want to go that route. You do not want an air tight seal; the vacuum will prevent the nipples from operating properly.

I took a 3/32" drill bit and drilled 5 or 6 holes on the sides near the top of the bucket to prevent a vacuum from forming.
53005_p1230837.jpeg

53005_p1230839.jpeg

Good Ole Uncle Neil Grassbaugh has the same nipple drinkers as FarmTek for
$1.85 each and the shipping starts at $3.00 and ends at $5.00.

DO NOT plan on insertiing the nipples on the side of the bucket as that is not how they are designed to work. Failure is certqin.

You have to really screw up the installation to need silicone. And it won't correvt any problems any how.

DARN! Where was good ole Uncle Neil when I needed you?
lol.png
I just ordered 3 nipples from FarmTek and they charged me over $11.00 in shipping! Was just complaining about it on another thread. $3-$5 shipping? You really ARE a good egg.

Quote:
Millions of market ducks are raised on nipple drinkers without pools of water to submerge their nostrils or eyes in.
These nipples are designed to deliver much more water than those used for chickens. Chicken nipples can be sucessfully used for the first few days of a ducklings life.

Quote:
"Yeah, 220... 221, whatever it takes" : Quote from the Movie, Mr Mom.

remember, I own a multi-tool and a hammer. I borrowed the drill and drill bits. Sorry for the disclosure of the wrong size. Besides, we are men... don't we all think it is bigger than it really is?

Back
Top Bottom