Nipple waterers?

I was happy to receive my two nipple waterers from Neil today, and the installation instructions are great. But my biggest drill bit is 1/4" so I'm going to have to make the 50-mile round trip to the nearest hardware store for the drill bit. Darn! Unless somebody here has some clever idea that's not going to ruin my bucket....

Save money and offer a neighborhood handyman $5 and a plate od
of cookies to borrow his! 50 miles- I didn't know anything in GA was so remote.

Last edited:
We moved someplace where I didn't have to worry about what people thought of me having my chickens. It's so rural, I have to worry even more than most about predators. Thanks for getting those nipple waterers to me so fast, Neil!

All right! My neighbor had a bunch of loose unmarked drill bits and didn't know which was which, but then we found the box they came in and I stuck bits into the one marked 11/32 until I found one that fit. Borrowed the drill bit, drilled the two holes in my 5-gallon bucket, got the black grommet thingies installed, and then could not for the life of me get the actual nipple waterers pushed in. I have very weak hands, so I asked DH to help me. He couldn't do it either.

But where there's a will, there's a way. I took my big stainless steel slotted spoon (that has round holes in it), and it was just the right size to slip the business end of the nipple through one of the holes. Using the spoon itself to lean my whole weight on, I was able to pop the nipples into the grommets myself. Yay!

I got the waterer hung up in my coop and took their water out. I was afraid they weren't going to be able to figure it out, so I put a very shallow tray of water directly underneath the waterer. It didn't take long for Suzie to figure it out, and then most of the others followed her lead. Now they are all out there, definitely showing a preference for the nipple waterers over the tray of water below. After I've seen them all drinking from the nipples, I'll take the tray out.

I'm delighted. Thanks again, Neil!

BankerJohn, I drilled the 3/32" holes around the top of my bucket waterer (actually, I spaced them every inch or so all the way around), and now I wonder: In your experience, are those holes small enough to keep mosquitoes out? Or do I need to worry about getting mosquito dunks?

Back
Top Bottom