NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Fall Show

I'm looking foward to the show, not showing just as a lurker! Just started raising chickens 2 months ago so I'm very much a newb. I live in Sussex County so this show is great being so close to my home. If anybody has any questions about the area that I can be of assistance I'd be glad to help. I know amartinlb inquired about the correct address, and mame1616 did give the correct address as 37 Plains Rd Augusta. Just a little tidbit also, I think the Greenhouse will be open saturday from 10-2pm.. If so do go in and check out the produce for sale. I've included a link to describe the program that grows the produce: http://www.norwescap.org/docs/Arthur & Friends Newsletter.pdf
Hope to see you all there. You'll know who I am, I'll be the guy with his mouth wide open drooling and admiring all the birds (my daughter will probably be with me telling me to close my mouth!)

ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif
!!! UPDATE !!!
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

The show secretary has informed us there are over 1100 birds registered!!!
th.gif
All of the show birds are in the regular Poultry Barn, and the auction, the vendors, the sale cages, and the food area will be in the pole barn next door. Please prepare for the weather as you will be back and forth all day. Parking - as it stands - will be next to and behind the greenhouse/conservatory. They are trying to work out what to do with some of the tailgaters, as they will need to have their cars/trucks near the show.

It will be very crowded and noisy, so let's all take our chill pills before we go so we can all have a good time. There may be many non-poultry people who wander in from the Harvest Festival - let's make sure we infect them with poultry madness! (And steer them away from the judges while they are working - they will not know to stay out of the aisle). This may be our biggest show ever, and it's a huge leap from last year, so please be patient with us as we do our best to handle such a large crowd. This, and our spring show, are the only ones in NJ (not counting 4H) and we are thrilled at the large turnout, and hoping to repeat it, thanks to you!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Last edited:
Brody's Broodello :

Quote:
Hi, I showed last spring and loved your show.... Im 16 years old and a member of Montgomery County (PA) 4-H Poultry Club and was wondering if you needed any one to clerk with a judge (I have clerked at a few shows so I am experienced)... if so I am interested, see you there ~Josh Cassar

Hey Josh,
Just an FYI. Some people get Very upset if you clerk and have birds entered in the show. We had people complain to a show once when my hubby offered to clerk and Brody had birds entered in the show.(He never spoke to the judge, just wrote the results. It really ticked the judge, because he had to stop, and the fact that they questioned his integraty) It is a shame some people ruin the fun for others. Especially if they don't ever raise their hands to help. Just wanted to give you the heads up in case some people get bent and complain, if you do clerk, there is always the chance, and you being young I wanted to give you warning before hand.
April​

Thank you April for the heads up its much appreciated... i dont understand either... i just do it cause i get to see the birds more closely and to understand what the judge looks for in each breed... i dont intend to sway his judging in any way... people are way to stubborn sometimes

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey Josh,
Just an FYI. Some people get Very upset if you clerk and have birds entered in the show. We had people complain to a show once when my hubby offered to clerk and Brody had birds entered in the show.(He never spoke to the judge, just wrote the results. It really ticked the judge, because he had to stop, and the fact that they questioned his integraty) It is a shame some people ruin the fun for others. Especially if they don't ever raise their hands to help. Just wanted to give you the heads up in case some people get bent and complain, if you do clerk, there is always the chance, and you being young I wanted to give you warning before hand.
April

Thank you April for the heads up its much appreciated... i dont understand either... i just do it cause i get to see the birds more closely and to understand what the judge looks for in each breed... i dont intend to sway his judging in any way... people are way to stubborn sometimes

Yeah some people take themselves to seriously. They forget that they are only chickens and the entry fee is only $2.50. Not talking millions here people!

Hey there all. I am a newbie chicken owner here in NJ. My family is planning on attending the show next weekend. We are very excited, but I have a few questions.

1) I've got two little kids. Is there room for my double stroller?

2) We'd like to purchase 4 more chickens to supplement the 3 we have. Should we bring our own boxes?

3) Is there going to be a reasonable concession stand or should we pack a picnic lunch?

4) Is there an admission fee?

TIA!

Quote:
Double stroller might be a squeeze - I haven't seen the new layout they created to accommodate so many birds.

Yes, bring your own boxes - better yet, ventilated animal carriers - cardboard boxes can get very hot. If you're going to stay the day, bring dishes for food and water.

There is a 4H stand with generally burgers and dogs - sometimes there is chili. They have bagels and such, and baked goods. There will be a harvest festival going on, but we don't know if they are planning to have any concessions open. Bring food for the kids, at least.

There is no admission fee to the show or to the Festival.

What time can I get there for selling mybirds in the sale area? I was going to give a hand in the sale area if Pete needed it too. The earlier the better for me.

Back
Top Bottom