no animal by- product feed- help please!

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
As a working Livestock Nutritionist that works with commercial producers every day of the week my ire gets up when I read universal condemnation of our AGriculture system with the use of blatant lies and misinformation.

Jim

Can you imagine us doing the same to whatever their profession is? Wouldn't go over well with them either I imagine. I would like to see them try and make their living in the ag world tho....I think the "rose-colored view they have of how it should be done would change in a big hurry!!

Cyn...you are right this is not the place for this debate......and really it's been done already many times on here. I don't even post on BYC much anymore.....but when I saw what bee-kissed had posted I felt I had to come on and post.

I don't care how people chose to feed themselves and their animals but I'm very tired of them seemingly making it their mission to across the board make a whole industry out to be the bad guys because it isn't done how they think it should be. When the grocery store shelves are empty because they've put all the farmers both large and small out of business and the people who either don't care or don't have the means to grow their own food are knocking on their doors looking for a hand out or just simply taking what they want, maybe then they'll see the food system we have now wasn't a bad thing after all.​

Quote:

Look at it this way, if a animal is "feed" (injected) a preventative antibiotics each day wouldn't that be wasting money in the farmers part and taking away from his profit? Wouldn't you think that the animal would grow a immunity to the antibiotics to where the antibiotics would no longer fight the problem the farm is trying to prevent?
I wouldn't think a farm would risk there business by over using antibiotics or selling animals intended for a food sores that still had antibiotics in it.
Just think of the lawsuit that farm would/ could have on there hands if some people would die from a allergic reaction from the antibiotic that would be in the meat if sold with antibiotics still in it...

Chris

You really must rent Food, Inc. and watch it...you will learn so much. Actually, the type of antibiotics they use are very cheap compared to the profit they make by getting a steer to finish weight~simple penicillins. They feed these drugs to prevent illness caused by the high corn diets they consume. Yes, they do develop an immunity..at least the E.coli bacteria do and create a super bug...the one that causes many meat recalls and kills young children.

The farmer doesn't feed this...the corporations do. The corporations who buy young cattle and fatten in feedlots for your Chicken McNuggets and KFC enjoyment.

Lawsuits? Try it. Many have and don't have the time nor the money to ever pursue them...years of legal red tape and many thousands of dollars later you can find that you simply cannot prove that the reason someone died was from that source. They have millions of dollars to make sure you will lose.

Mother Earth News has an online site for their mag...find it and read up. You might find it interesting what is in your meats and what you are eating. All USDA approved and stamped.

Try listing scientific studies rather than highly biased sources, and your arguments will be more convincing.

Quote:
Just so you know, I've paid in waaaaaaaaaaaay more tax dollars over the years than I've ever collected in farm subsidies.....and I've never collected one dollar in subsidies for corn.

Hey Katy,
Ya I know.. It was not aimed at you.. You are a Wheat farmer right? I remember a discussion on the prices of wheat.

(I grew up farming during the Beef boom years in the 70's. We grass fed pastured right up to finishing the cows with grains. That was the cheapest way to go back then.)

I am just passionate about bringing back the small farm. So I am into organic, local, non GMO. Pretty much anything anti government subsidy, anti large scale globalization of food, anti Monsanto .
Ultimately one Greedy CEO gets rich and everyone else works their tail off. Besides our country is fat enough we do not need any more cheap processed foods made from corn syrup and soy..
wink.png

Yes some honest hard working mid size farmers could get caught in the cross fire... But they can always join the cause, of the people taking back control of their food!

Be well all.
(The subject of food can invoke strong emotions.. I know it does for me!)

ON

Quote:
You really must rent Food, Inc. and watch it...you will learn so much. Actually, the type of antibiotics they use are very cheap compared to the profit they make by getting a steer to finish weight~simple penicillins. They feed these drugs to prevent illness caused by the high corn diets they consume. Yes, they do develop an immunity..at least the E.coli bacteria do and create a super bug...the one that causes many meat recalls and kills young children.

The farmer doesn't feed this...the corporations do. The corporations who buy young cattle and fatten in feedlots for your Chicken McNuggets and KFC enjoyment.

Lawsuits? Try it. Many have and don't have the time nor the money to ever pursue them...years of legal red tape and many thousands of dollars later you can find that you simply cannot prove that the reason someone died was from that source. They have millions of dollars to make sure you will lose.

Mother Earth News has an online site for their mag...find it and read up. You might find it interesting what is in your meats and what you are eating. All USDA approved and stamped.

Try listing scientific studies rather than highly biased sources, and your arguments will be more convincing.

I agree. Fact rather than Hollywood productions and fact rather than the highly biased TMEN. Both sources rely on drama and scare tactics far more than they should. It's that pesky thing called "money" that motivates them.

Scientific studies are not always 100% trustworthy. One must amass a huge amount of information to make any kind of decision, or do as I do - rely on personal judgement and common sense.

As has been stated, the OP needs to investigate the specific feeds available and draw their own conclusions. It's not really a committee decision.

Can you imagine us doing the same to whatever their profession is? Wouldn't go over well with them either I imagine.

Okay!
smile.png
I'm a nurse....slam away! I will agree with you on every point about the bad and nasty things wrong with the medical profession and the whole health care system. I, too, use my common sense and good judgement and call a spade a spade when I get the chance. I don't like lazy nurses who don't do their job either, I don't think pills are magic and take away all your ills, I don't think doctors are wise and all-knowing.

There are myriad things wrong with my profession of which I hear every day on the job.....but those things have nothing to do with me. I am not "painted with the same brush" as those who give health care a bad name. I have my own integrity and those who know me acknowledge that. I'm secure in that and so do not get inflamed when folks voice opinions about my profession.

The problem with your "ire" is that you are taking things personally....if you, as a farmer, do not feed meds and junk to your cows, then why would you get angry? I, as a nurse, do not lie to my patients and encourage treatments merely for the sake of making a dollar. I don't prescribe the meds, nor do I manufacture them...I do, however, enlighten my patients to the facts about treatments, meds and surgeries when they ask.

In every profession it behooves us to challenge the accepted wisdom...especially when its being spoon fed to us by government offices...they have a tendency to do a song and dance for the general public.

Its my right to believe what I wish from the information I glean and it is also my right to express that. If I had attacked you personally, I could see the source of your anger.

As for scientific studies? My profession is full of them as well and they are just as biased as the ones in the agricultural profession. I don't rely on them either for the straight story.

But...enough of that....this is a post about where to find a certain kind of feed, isn't it?
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
big_smile.png

Well said..

Gee agent orange was deemed "safe for the troops" by the government........
tongue.png

I worked on the 5th biggest veal farm in Wisconsin in the 80's.... Lets just say I DO NOT eat veal. The amount of meds we shot into those animals was amazing.. How about some bleach in with the milk replacer anyone?

Our family has taken control, we read labels and avoid corn syrup and soy.. (Things that fatten Americans up like hogs.)
Yep look at the stats we are the fattest nation on earth! Why???? Our industrial food!!!

The food revolution has began... Like it or not the phenomona of so many people wanting to keep chickens in their back yard is part of this revolution. Simply people wanting to take control of their food and what is in it.
Not everyone feels processed, genetically modified, chemically derived food is good.
sickbyc.gif

Everyone is welcome to feed their family what they want.. However I do not need to be told that the whole Organic/local/natural movement is a lie... That is outrageous..
ON

Not all Purina feed is Animal Protein free- Purina Game Bird Layena still has animal protein in it, which is why I buy it.

Also, you can purchase Fish Meal on Ebay, from mostly bait supply places.

Hormones haven't been included in poultry feeds for over 40 years.
As to Soy, I can remember a few years back when Soy was going to save mankind from starvation. Now the alarmists say it will kill us all. So many of these health claims change over time that it's hard to know what to take seriously.
The Japanese eat a lot of Soy are a healthy people so.....?

farmers cheap feed.....CORN.!!!!

So, is Corn a problem too along with Soy, animal byproducts & everything else?

Someone suggested citing scientific facts rather than info from biased sources-I agree. Here's a fact I confident is accurate: what ever you do you'll die eventually. IMO some people obsess too much about the never ending stream of health scares we're subjected to.​

Back
Top Bottom