NO chicks till June?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nipper75, Mar 5, 2011.

1. nipper75

nipper75 Songster

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    I can't get chicks till June from mypetchicken.com..... Is this common? Do you know where I can order only about 6 chicks?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I ordered 12 from Ideal Poultry, but you can order as many as you want as long as it totals $25. Just call them when you are done and pay the extra $1.75 so they won't include 'packing peanuts' (male chicks for warmth) They had a lot in stock. I noticed on MPC that they barely had anything in stock too. I've heard they are just the middle man. Best to go right to the source if you are ordering.

3. Lawnman127

Lawnman127 In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Try Meyer, they did a good job for me

4. mallory2013

mallory2013 Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    I ordered mine from Meyer. Depending on what breed you want they have chicks available as early as next week! I'm not having mine come in until June though anyway because I have to build the coop and I figure that gives me enough time. Good luck!

5. nipper75

nipper75 Songster

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    Thanks! Just checked out Meyer and was able to get what I wanted a month earlier in May! Thanks again!

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Don't you have a farm store closer? I don't know where your located... It's "Chick Days" around here, and EVERYONE is all aflutter [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Hope you can find some sooner

7. nipper75

nipper75 Songster

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    Hi. I'm in northeastern PA. I do have 2 Tractor Stores here but I'm looking for certain breeds such as austrlorp, dominique, and easter egger. When I called the stores, they were either sold out, didn't have a clue as to which breed they had, or only had 1 breed and not the others. I don't know of what else I can do to get the chicks that I want except the mail order. I'm not too happy about mail ordering the poor little things but I guess that's what I have to do.

8. Lawnman127

Lawnman127 In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Nipper, Meyer is right next door in Polk Ohio, so shipping shouldn't be to bad.
    I am in mid Ga and all were alive on arrival. I did ultimatley lose 5, it was covered
    in the 48 hr guarantee though.
    Good Luck

9. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I, too, tried to order from the hatcheries and the wait would have been a month or so.
    I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anyway, the feed store had most of what I wanted anyway (Australorps, EE's, BR's, and RIR's).
    I went to a local breeder to pick up some Silkies and d'Uccles.
    The only other breeds I wanted were Sussex and Wyandottes.

Next time I will plan WAY AHEAD and order chicks BEFORE the season rush!!

[​IMG]

10. bs288

bs288 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    I tried to order the ones I wanted and couldn't get them until May. I wanted them now. I did get other kinds but learned to order early. I did buy from Meyer and was pleased with them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: