No eggs for over three weeks, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coldstream, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Coldstream

Coldstream New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    Hi all, thanks for reading! My 5 month-old Leghorn was my best layer until she got sick almost a month ago, and I haven't had any eggs from her since. I still don't know what was wrong with her, just a steady decline in eating and activity until I thought I was sure to lose her. After a few days (and sleepless nights) of hand feeding, and keeping her warm and comfortable, she was back to her normal self, and I thought she must start laying again soon. At about the same period of time, my other ladies had a bout of soft eggs, so they have all been eating oyster shells, and they are all back to normal. Since she is my only white egg-layer, I am positive that she hasn't laid anything. Should I be worried about her?? Not sure if there is something I should be doing...

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    If everything else looks fine, I wouldn't be too worried, I'm glad she's getting better! She probably just needs a bit of time to come around from that illness she had [​IMG] When mine were sick, egg laying basically stopped too. Sometimes it's seasonal as well, usually at the start of winter mine'll lay off for a while.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Your leghorn was your best layer at 4 months old? I thought they didn't start laying until around 5 mos. What age was she when she started?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Was the lethargy the only symptom? Any sneezing or wheezing? Quite frankly yes, I would be a little concerned, especially as it affected your other hens too.

5. Coldstream

Coldstream New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    I got all 4 chicks (White Rock, Barred Rock, New Hampshire Red, and Mystery Chicken, who appears to be a Leghorn) on the last day of March, and we had all 4 laying by late July. I thought that was early, too! And yes, the only symptoms were lethargy, not eating or drinking, and acting anti-social. Aside for the soft-shelled eggs soon after the illness, the other hens have been totally fine. My Leghorn is not being picked on, although she is clearly low man on the totem pole now and isn't as feisty as she used to be.

Thanks for taking the time to reply; I did scour the boards to find my own answer, but just couldn't find my particular circumstance. I can't believe I'd ever love my chickens the way I do, isn't it fun!? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by