No eggs hen?

2chicks4three

In the Brooder
5 Years
Seems to be a hen, friendly, feathers etc but large waddles and no eggs.
What is she/he?

Both female. What are you feeding? Could be they aren't getting the right nutrition. And in winter, it's not the cold temps that stop laying, but the short days. Chickens require daylight to produce eggs. When the days get too short, they stop laying completely. That could also be a reason for no eggs.
Eggs are a seasonal food. No hen, regardless of breed, will lay nonstop, all year long. It's normal and healthy for them to take a few months off in the fall or winter.

If you raised them from chicks they have to be laying somewhere in your uard with those combs and wattles. Have you looked in all possible locations? Do yuu have fake eggs in your nests? Mine have been laying forever, but I still keep those fake eggs in the nest to ensure that they lay where I want them to.

Well wait to harvest till days get longer and see.
No eggs thru last summer after they matured though.
They get all the lay mash and crumble they want and free range also.
Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. And it's got just barely enough protein in it for egg production, if it's the only thing the birds ever get. Could be that with free ranging, they just aren't getting enough protein. Egg whites are mostly protein, and it has to come from somewhere.

If you raised them from chicks they have to be laying somewhere in your uard with those combs and wattles. Have you looked in all possible locations? Do yuu have fake eggs in your nests? Mine have been laying forever, but I still keep those fake eggs in the nest to ensure that they lay where I want them to.

Thanks, our yard is easy to check.
They spend plenty of time in the nest boxes but no eggs.
Ill get higher protein feed.
I had fake eggs but gave up so I'll put them back etc.
Thanks

Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. And it's got just barely enough protein in it for egg production, if it's the only thing the birds ever get. Could be that with free ranging, they just aren't getting enough protein. Egg whites are mostly protein, and it has to come from somewhere. 

I'll try more protein as the weather warms.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom