No Eggs in 1 1/2 months.

I feed Purina Layena pellet, with a little diatomaceous earth sprinkled in. I keep there water clean and fresh, they get a little added vitamins in the water. They seem to be very healty, there feathers shine, combs are bright red, there bodies are very full and solid, they are some big girls.

It has 16% protein and between 3.25% and 4.25% calcium.

Last edited:
68589_img_1101.jpg

68589_img_1100.jpg

are your chickens molting? that would definatly stop them laying for a while- it could also be the cold weather.

on second thought, the hens may just be lazy or fat. have they been given a lot of treats lately?

Last edited:
16% protein would be too low at my house for my girls in winter to produce, but I don't know how my temps compare to yours. I switched mine over to non medicated starter/grower which has 18% protein and offer oyster shell. Also, if you do give them treats, offer them vanilla flavored yogurt or something comparable for the added protein. Give scratch or corn at a minimum. Good luck!

My chickens were molting and had a slump in production as well. So I bought some Calf Manna supplement pellets (it's kinda expensive but only feed a little at a time) and would feed them about a handful a day or so as a boost in protein and other nutients. They loved them, egg production was back in no time, my molting gals, only didn't lay for about 1 month or so.

BigDaddy'sGurl :

16% protein would be too low at my house for my girls in winter to produce, but I don't know how my temps compare to yours. I switched mine over to non medicated starter/grower which has 18% protein and offer oyster shell. Also, if you do give them treats, offer them vanilla flavored yogurt or something comparable for the added protein. Give scratch or corn at a minimum. Good luck!

plain yogurt has the added benefit of not adding sugar to their diet.

Great article on poor laying:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw565/

I have allot of chickens, different ages, 3 different breeds, they get a good diet even in the winter of protein and veggies along with regular feed. I get all the groshery stores left over produce so you can imagine they aren't hurting for lots to eat. They also get deer scraps, corn and feed. I have gotten NO eggs..NONE.. NaDa for months. My neighbor has over 30 hens and he was bragging about 4 eggs the other day. Some of my birds have been in molt for months as well. I don't know whats up, but I don't think you are alone in this one.

""""""" FINALLY """"""" I got my first egg yesterday and two more today!
big_smile.png

I have gotten a total of two small and one Jumbo eggs.

68589_img_1104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom