No eggs since July 2016

ChickenMama79

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Texas
So, it's now October. We have 5 hens, 4 are a flock, all about 2 1/2 years old (1 EE, 1 BO, 1 black sex links, and 1 SS), and 1 odd girl out we've had since May. She came with 2 others that turned out to be roosters, which we can't have in the city. She holds her own with the 4 others and even escaped a bobcat attack, so we've got high hopes for her. She's about 5 1/2 months old EE.

That's the background.

Here's my question: we haven't had any eggs since sometime in July. The older EE went through a mini molt, then laid about 3 eggs sometime in there, but stopped again and went into full molt. All the others stopped well before their molt and haven't started again. Is it time for the stewpot for them? We were told they'd be able to lay a good 3-4 years. It's been a very disappointing year for them. What do you think?

This time of year, it's very normal for hens to stop laying. Egg production is directly tied to the amount of daylight hens are exposed to. Shorter days means few eggs. If there is less than 12 hours of daylight, they stop laying entirely. It's normal. They will start laying again, once days start to get longer again.
The pullets that mature in the fall do take longer to start laying. You may not see eggs from her till December or January.

But they stopped back in July- was that normal, too? Thanks for the response, by the way
1f44d.png

But now that you ask, we had to get rid of the roosters in July. Do you think that has something to do with it? They were so young I didn't think it would matter. They had only just started crowing.

Hey ChickenMama79!

Don't despair! It does sound like it has been a long time since they layed, but it is possible that there is just a coincidental chain of events. If they experienced some kind of molt in July, and then the weather and days changed as fall came on, it could just be each thing stacking on top of each other.
Do you have a light in your coop? Chickens are picky, for some reason they don't like to lay in the dark, so they require at least sixteen hours of daylight to keep up a good laying schedule.
Do your girls have a balanced diet that is providing them with enough protein and such? Have you changed their feed recently?
Sometimes hens just need to take a break to recuperate. For backyard egg-layers, they are still in their prime. And your pullet is still growing and probably won't start laying consistently until she is six or seven months old.
Were there any big changes made to their environment? I guess that it could have something to do with the addition of a new girl, but I'm not sure what.
There is hope for your biddies, so don't consider the pot quite yet!

Good luck!

~ClickCluckMoo~

Thanks for the input! No, they don't have a light, and there isn't a good way to get one in their coop, unfortunately. I've wanted to do that but it won't work (safely, anyway). Their diet hasn't changed at all. I'm guessing it's the combination of shorter days and changes to the flock. Hopefully they'll start laying again soon, though! I'll keep you posted:)

Do you live in an area where the days are a lot shorter and colder? If egg production doesn't pick back up, you may consider finding a way to put a light in their coop.
Hopefully it is just because your little roos are gone. If it is, they should get over them soon. Those must have been some charming little roosters, for the hens to miss them this much!

Good luck and keep us posted!

~ClickCluckMoo~

Back
Top Bottom