No eggs???

Paws2u

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Carrollton, GA
My red and black stars (1-1/2 years old)...since they ended their molt, are not laying eggs. I have 10 hens and maybe get one egg a day! Some days none! Could they be eating them? Any suggestions please?

Quote:
I doubt they are eating them, you would probably see something left of an egg here and there.. they usually stop for a while when they molt..then get goin again.
thumbsup.gif

I have never experienced this length of time. It has been approx. 4 weeks since they were losing feathers...does that seem normal? Thanks for the extra quick replay!!!

Quote:
Now have to wonder where you live. Is it cooling down where you are? I'm not an expert at all, just going by what my girls have done, and yes, a couple did slow down a bit when it started to get cooler..some hens will slow down in cooler weather, some not.
smile.png

Many people don't know they have egg-eating chickens. Because once the egg is laid, all of it is eaten. Shell, yolk, and even the dirt or shavings that soaked up some egg whites. A good way to test this is to buy a small pack of store-bought brown (or white, whichever yours are laying) eggs, and place it in the nest box or the ground. If they attack it like any other treat, then you have egg eaters. Otherwise, something sounds up, to me at least. Even 1 1/2 a year olds wouldn't almost stop laying like that, MAYBE the molt is contributing. (Could rats, squirrels, or skunks be stealing eggs?) Try increasing the protein intake, maybe the molt has drained too much protein from them.

Back
Top Bottom