no eggs

BMD17553

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
in mid to late September i let 3 of my game hens sit and incubate the eggs the nesting boxes that i had weren't cramped but they weren't huge either. i had two hens sitting on the same batch eggs. has anyone ever seen this? i split the eggs up and they separated. i had a few chicks hatch. i took a couple away and raised them by hand. the ones i left behind when they hatched the chicks i guess wanting to hangout and socialize with the others crawled into one box. which resulted in the hens all sitting in one box together. i left a few for the hens to raise naturally. that was late September now its January and i haven't seen one egg from any of the hens. how can i tell if they are either done laying for the year. i also don't know the age of them so what are some tell signs that they are to old.

In my experience, game hens have tended to be seasonal layers. Laying from early spring to late summer, raising 2 or 3 rounds of chicks and then taking the winter off. They have not been selected and bred for maximum egg production.

but do you think the fact that i still have the chicks with them is halting their egg process?

I doubt that 4 month old chicks are having that much of an impact on the hens. Day length is once again starting to increase. This will eventually spur egg production.

Back
Top Bottom