No energy and bright green poop!

Green poop here usually means major bacterial infection, which I usually treat with Baytril and tube feeding.

Last edited:
I got on the internet to look up why one of my Chickens had this lime green poop also lethargic and not eating. I feel so bad cuz I waited way too long to do something about it.She was still walking around the yard and be able to get up in her sleeping area at night. She was drinking and she would eat some greens that I would feed them, but nothing else. On Monday of this week I found your article along with others about injecting them with the Tylan 50. So on Tuesday I went and got some. Also made a mixture up of buttermilk, yogurt and some of their feed ground up. Also put apple cider vinegar in all their water. Any ways we injected her on Tuesday afternoon and gave her some of the mixture I made and left her alone until the evening and fed her some more and she seemed to like it. She did go back in the hen house and lay down but in the corner on the ground. There were a lot of wood shavings and hay on the ground so I left her there. I don't know what I was thinking but just wanted to not stress her out. She did not like to be held. Well it got pretty cold that night and I didn't close their door or turn on my heat lamp for her. I just feel so so bad cuz when I went out the next morning she was laying on the cold ground and barely alive. I did wrap her up in a towel and turned on the heat lamp and waited for my husband to come home so we cold give her another injection. We first gave her a little water as she wasn't drinking anymore.Then we injected her and should have waited a little while to give her some food but we gave her some of the mixture but she didn't swallow it, then my husband tried to give her more and all of a sudden she started slinging her head back and forth and was making this loud screaching sound. I just lost it and and started crying and then she died. I have never felt so QUILTY. I feel like I killed her! I didn't even give her a chance to fight whatever she had. None of my other girls are sick but I will know if any of my other chickens get any green poop I will do the injection immediately and hopefully save their life. She was my oldest girl and came from a different flock than the 4 I have left. I am so glad you saved yours.
Sharoon

Has anyone seen something like this?

I believe its been 4 days ago that I found one of my hens sick with bright green runny poop. she wouldn't eat. she would stand in one spot and not move. I brought her in the house gave her some apple cider vinegar water and then some Gatorade and she would drink some of each of those. I had bought a powdered antibiotic called terra-vet 10 ( tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder) a while back. the instructions talked about making a considerable amount all at once. so I had to guesstimate on a dosage for her. I used a measuring spoon and used a level 1/8 of a teaspoon put a few drops of water in it and put it in a dropper slowly squeezed it into her mouth. the second day she just lied around but would eat some meal worms and some canned cat food. I was so happy to see her eat anything. I gave her more antibiotic same as the day before. the next day she was standing more and continued eating meal worms and cat food soaked in water. I read on the internet on some site that it could be a liver infection. today is the fourth day and i gave her the dose of antibiotic, she fought a lot today while I gave it to her, showing a lot more strength. right now she's outside in a pen alone walking and pecking around like normal. I guess the antibiotic worked so far. she still has bright green poop but its not near as runny. Of course she hasn't laid an egg still i hope she gets totally back to normal. I will try to keep y'all informed of the outcome being I'm new to writing on this site. lol I'm not very computer literate.

Last edited:
Obviously this post is very old but I need to know what the outcome of the original post was! I have a chicken with identically colored poo. Hers is clinging to her feathers though. She also seems to have a bit of a swollen abdomen compared to others in my flock. Maybe a little lethargic but hard to tell as I have a long commute to work and only see my flock briefly when they are let out of the coop in morning and locked in at night. She is a Barred Rock about 3 years old, I just got her 2 weeks ago. I have seen lots of talk about "lime green" poo but this is more bright teal. I cna't find anything that quite matches her symptoms.

Obviously this post is very old but I need to know what the outcome of the original post was! I have a chicken with identically colored poo. Hers is clinging to her feathers though. She also seems to have a bit of a swollen abdomen compared to others in my flock. Maybe a little lethargic but hard to tell as I have a long commute to work and only see my flock briefly when they are let out of the coop in morning and locked in at night. She is a Barred Rock about 3 years old, I just got her 2 weeks ago. I have seen lots of talk about "lime green" poo but this is more bright teal. I cna't find anything that quite matches her symptoms.

Sounds like she may have organ failure. The swollen belly may be ascites. The green poo means she isn't processing food properly. It is bile.

I have a similar situation and have had a couple of sick hens the past few weeks. This one here one sick about a month ago and was pretty much on death’s door step could barely stand and seemed to be overheating as she got to the point where she needed to hang half her body over the edge of the box I had her in with her wings halfway up in the air. Didn’t think she would make it but gave her a shot of Tylan while she just laid there without moving. Low and behold she was up the next day and after a week long course of Tylan she appeared to be getting better. Her comb was still flopped over but she was eating and cleaning herself.

Since then she seemed to have relapsed but the last few days I have been force feeding her beef liver just as I did with the other sick hen and today she was up bright and early about 4:30 AM when I got up. Otherwise she has been slow to get out of the box more towards 7:00 AM. She is full of energy today so I’m not sure what to make of it. Her poop too was very green last night and her issue seems to be egg related. She can’t seem to lay an egg with a shell so maybe something breaking inside causing the issues and maybe that issue has to do with the shell gland. Not really sure at this point but I will continue with the liver. She is now eating on her own but the liver I will need to continue to force feed as she is one of the hens that doesn’t normally eat it. I’m doing this because I think it’s her only hope of recovering from what is unknown to me at this point. I consider beef liver the most nutrient dense food on the planet and consume a great deal myself.

Top pic is from a couple of weeks ago and the shelless egg about 1 week ago didn't have the right date stamp. Bottom 2 pictures are from this morning and at the moment she is back to her normal energy levels and everything looks goods except for her comb.

I SHOULD NOTE::: I TRIED EVERY VET IN A 100 MILE DISTANCE AND THEY BASICALLY LAUGHED AT ME WANTING HELP WITH A CHICKEN THEY DONT HAVE THE ABILITY TO HELP THESE BIRDS SO I DID IT MYSELF...SO BEFOR ANY NEG. COMMENTS COME OUT SOMETIMES WE CANT ALL GO RUNNING TO THE VET!!! THE TYLAN 50 WAS ONLY 11 DOLLARS AND THE NEEDLES WAS 3 SO I SAVED MY SILKIES FOR UNDER 15$$$$$$$ WE DO WHAT WE GOTA DO SOMETIMES A VET WILL DO EXACTLY WHAT WE DO, THEY WILL GO TO THE INTERNET !
I have the same problem, don't know which bird it is so far ... I have noted where each is perching tonight, so will check tomorrow. We don't have Tylan here in Northern Ireland, but will (whichever one it is) have the vet inject her with antibiotic, he is very good with chickens. Though I read on line ,green poo indicates starvation!!!! I make sure all my hens eat, so not sure, will update after vet visit. I will mention Tylan maybe he will know what it is here, if under different name.

so I have the same problem with my 4 month old Ameraucanas they also drop their wings but they eat well and didn't lose their appetite.
after i read all this post i don't know if i need to start treating them with Baytril or Tylan .
please help me

Yall, come on now. Your chickens have a serious liver infection! By the time they're pooping green, they are very sick and even medicines wont help and might just make them live longer in pain. I'm sorry to say that but its the truth. I know this because I've luckily got friends who are vets. Liver infection is painful and saying you dont have the money or trying some stuff you got at tractor supply without knowing anything about that stuff is cruel imho. Worse, you could be hurting your chicken more, you dont know.

I wish yall could see how sad my friends are when they talk about how people yelling at them that they dont care cause they have to charge money. I'd put some money down no vet is 'laughing you out the door'. Birds cost money, they gonna get sick, save some money before you get them and find a vet and stop thinkin google is going to fix your bird.

Sorry for the rant, but I love my birds and I'd do anything for them and I had to get that right with myself before I got them.

Back
Top Bottom