No energy and bright green poop!

Lime green poop, in my experiences, has always had to do with wasting. You never know they're wasting till they reach the end of the line and you get green poop. I'm Not saying that this is true 100% of the time, but it is for me. I'm neurotic about checking under the roosts every morning.

Most, if not all of my lime green poopers were at the end of the wasting from Marek's disease.

Others have different experiences, like SpeckledHen. Lime green poop will happen to any chicken that has stopped eating for a period of time. From a number of illnesses.

Thank you everyone on the information for no energy and bright green poop. My Stella are RR has been sick for a few days. I just noticed green poop the other night and found this post. I got her the medicine at tractor supply and some vitamins and gave them to her tonight. I hope she gets better.

That's the problem with green poop. It could be the result of so many things. I had to put a hen down last night. Emaciated, green poop. Wouldn't eat. Now I came home tonight and have another one on her way out. I did give her some canned cat food and she ate that. I am giving her Tylan antibiotic but not sure if she will be able to pull out of this. I have another one or two in the chicken yard with green poop. Not sure which ones they are. I HATE this part of raising chickens!

Thank you to everyone who has posted about green poop. I have seen it tonight and came right to this site for information. I have had 3 chickens die this summer from illness, not predators. They were older hens but still 3 is a lot to lose :-( I will try antibiotics in the water but I'm not ready to give shots....

Thank you to everyone who has posted about green poop. I have seen it tonight and came right to this site for information. I have had 3 chickens die this summer from illness, not predators. They were older hens but still 3 is a lot to lose :-( I will try antibiotics in the water but I'm not ready to give shots....

One of my hens recovered. I had to put down another one Friday who seemed fine Thursday night but Friday morning she couldn't stand. She was 2 1/2 years old Black Copper Maran. I used Corid and that seemed to help with my other hens (this one that couldn't stand had to have something else, Mareks?) Now I've read that they could have a fungal infection too and to use Oxine. WWW.POULTRYPEDIA.COM Lots of good info at this site. Check out fungal infections. Good luck. The first time I gave my chickens a shot, I had to lay down for 20 minutes to recover! Had to do that for a week! It isn't so hard now.

Last edited:
I have had the same problem with my 2 barred Plymouth rock hens (Lathargic and bright green poop with lots of water around it in the bedding). One of them is also molting and neither has laid an egg in about a month. I started giving them the Tylan 50 3 days ago. Today I started a vitamin supplement (I didn't think it could hurt at this point). They seem to have perked up and are more active, and drinking more, but their poop is still the same green. How long was it before you saw a difference in the poop? I know that I can't give the Tylan more than 4-5 days. What then? Do I just wait to see what happens? These are our first chickens and we are very worried. Any suggestions?

I SHOULD NOTE::: I TRIED EVERY VET IN A 100 MILE DISTANCE AND THEY BASICALLY LAUGHED AT ME WANTING HELP WITH A CHICKEN THEY DONT HAVE THE ABILITY TO HELP THESE BIRDS SO I DID IT MYSELF...SO BEFOR ANY NEG. COMMENTS COME OUT SOMETIMES WE CANT ALL GO RUNNING TO THE VET!!! THE TYLAN 50 WAS ONLY 11 DOLLARS AND THE NEEDLES WAS 3 SO I SAVED MY SILKIES FOR UNDER 15$$$$$$$ WE DO WHAT WE GOTA DO SOMETIMES A VET WILL DO EXACTLY WHAT WE DO, THEY WILL GO TO THE INTERNET !

Some people will always be negative about it, but the ones that feel the same way you do are in the thousands on this forum. Good for you saving those little silkies!

I have had the same problem with my 2 barred Plymouth rock hens (Lathargic and bright green poop with lots of water around it in the bedding). One of them is also molting and neither has laid an egg in about a month. I started giving them the Tylan 50 3 days ago. Today I started a vitamin supplement (I didn't think it could hurt at this point). They seem to have perked up and are more active, and drinking more, but their poop is still the same green. How long was it before you saw a difference in the poop? I know that I can't give the Tylan more than 4-5 days. What then? Do I just wait to see what happens? These are our first chickens and we are very worried. Any suggestions?

That bright green poo is when they have no more fat stores left. So it's all bile.
Tylan is a respiratory antibiotic mostly. You need something else like Baytril (allbirdproducts.com) or or Penicillin injections or even sulfadimethoxine (feed stores or tractor supply or on line). I usually start with sulfadimethoxine because it works on coccidiosis and it's an antibiotic.

How old are they?
Where did you get them and how long have you had them?
Do you have other chickens?
What do you feed them?

This may sound stupid to you, but anyway, make them French toast. One egg and a bit of milk per slice of bread and a teaspoon of sugar. Fry it but leave the inside mushy. And sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon . OR just take some chicken feed and make a mush out of it (not too dry).

What is their housing and routine like?

That bright green poo is when they have no more fat stores left.  So it's all bile. 
Tylan is a respiratory antibiotic mostly.  You need something else like Baytril  (allbirdproducts.com) or or Penicillin injections or even sulfadimethoxine (feed stores or tractor supply or on line). I usually start with sulfadimethoxine because it works on coccidiosis and it's an antibiotic.

How old are they?
Where did you get them and how long have you had them?
Do you have other chickens?
What do you feed them?

This may sound stupid to you, but anyway, make them French toast.  One egg and a bit of milk per slice of bread and a teaspoon of sugar.  Fry it but leave the inside mushy.  And sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon .  OR just take some chicken feed and make a mush out of it (not too dry). 

What is their housing and routine like?

I'm also having the hen-with-bright-green-poop problem. I've had her in our heated shop in a large dog crate. She perked up after 5 days of vitamin water, but still green poop. I put Super-Booster in her water today, which is a different vitamin mix with Penicillin. She's not really interested in her grain/feed mix or even dry cracked corn, but gobbles up any fruit, tomato, cooked rice or oatmeal. Might try your french toast idea.... Though I'm pretty sure my hubby will do a great big facepalm over it! Lol! I hate seeing my birds when they're ailing.
This hen is an unknown age, rarely lays, and even if she does it often has a soft or thin shell. Probably most typical farm folk would cull her but I don't have the heart unless they're suffering.

Back
Top Bottom