No, I don’t have any regrets about eating animals.

:lau

I can tell you one thing... People up north are more blunt and to the point, they don't take offense in things so quickly. They just tell you to get bent...

Where I am in Virginia people get very offended over everything you say, I can barely talk without someone getting offended.

I believe it's all in the way you were raised and where you live and how you react to certain situations.

I'm hotheaded I go from 0 to 100 and 2.2 seconds... That's a New England thing :gig
I live in California...:lau:D
I am ashamed that I am a "californian". This place is so backwards it offends me.

I'm very, very good at ticking people off. Sometimes I even do it intentionally!

I live in California...:lau:D
I am ashamed that I am a "californian". This place is so backwards it offends me.

I'm very, very good at ticking people off. Sometimes I even do it intentionally!
Oh man! That's the one place I would never move due to all of the backwardness. I like how you say Cali offends you :gigI push people's buttons on purpose too, it's fun sometimes :highfive:

I doubt that you posted with intent; therefore, to my way of thinking no rule was broken.

Are we possibly related ? I have often wondered how many I could tick off if I really tried.

Glad that I was farm born and bred. Gifted with respect for that which we eat and a love for a varied diet. You should try my squirrel sauerbraten.
It depends, are you Scotch-Irish?

But it would be fair to say that those of us who are eating copious quantities of meat are not defying good moral sense either. We are just, as all good predators, being true to our design. There is no conflict of conscience in that.

We are not predators. We don't have claws or fangs for a start. Humans are herbivores.

The way chickens are bred to grow quickly with hormones, some can barely even stand as they are so top heavy. They see no light of day until they're sent to the slaughterhouse. They can barely move in their minute cages, etc etc. What about the beef industry?

How can one not have a moral conscience about that? How can that be true to our design? and how can there be no conflict of conscience in that?

I find Ms. Amber O'hearn's lecture very questionable and her information should be well researched before one dives in on this diet idea.

The meat industry has serious lobbying power and modern farming practices have destroyed the quality of soil.

Grow your own! :jumpy

We are not predators. We don't have claws or fangs for a start. Humans are herbivores.

The way chickens are bred to grow quickly with hormones, some can barely even stand as they are so top heavy. They see no light of day until they're sent to the slaughterhouse. They can barely move in their minute cages, etc etc. What about the beef industry?

How can one not have a moral conscience about that? How can that be true to our design? and how can there be no conflict of conscience in that?

I find Ms. Amber O'hearn's lecture very questionable and her information should be well researched before one dives in on this diet idea.

The meat industry has serious lobbying power and modern farming practices have destroyed the quality of soil.

There are numerous monkey species that will hunt and kill things. Chimpanzees are well-documented for their cooperative behavior in hunting monkeys. Humans aren't herbivores - lack of fangs and claws does not define that. Octopus and squid have neither, yet they are predators.

It’s fascinating the topic bent around to habits of offending and being offended with a side of humor. Personally, as a habitually offensive person, I feel like I live in a state where being offended is a moral imperative of anyone with ears and being offensive is the gross moral terpitude if anyone with a mouth. I really think my neighborhood is big enough for more than one opinion. Who knows how somebody else’s ignorance may predispose them to a discovery that enriches my life in some way that my vast intellect disqualifies me from accomplishing on my own.

Grow your own is a great idea. I am trying to do that within the confines of my scale. I have only 1/3 acre. I have actually been thinking lately: I wonder if backyard poultry could be a big part of the solution to ecologically unsound meat production. 3 leghorns per person could provide a lot of healthy fat and protein in the form of eggs. That’s 12 birds in the average North American back yard which is very doable.

From time to time, it seems people post topics on the meat bird forum that would seem to be designed to respectfully encourage us poultry eaters to consider whether what we are doing is really in good conscience. I just want to state my own opinion that eating animals is actually squarely in line with the nature of the human species. It isn’t a moral corruption of good sentiment, nor is an affinity for meat a backward inability to evolve. The facts of human history, anatomy and biology indicate that humans are primarily carnivorous with the ability to derive nutrients from plants on the side as a backup or supplement. This doesn’t mean you can’t be vegetarian or that vegetarians are inately bad people. But it would be fair to say that those of us who are eating copious quantities of meat are not defying good moral sense either. We are just, as all good predators, being true to our design. There is no conflict of conscience in that.

I agree, probably not the best place to try to convince people that eating meat is wrong. I am an animal lover and I do sometimes feel a little guilty, but I love me a good hamburger or salami from time to time. My chickens are primarily pets, and I found eating chicken a little difficult after having chickens a pets. However, after having seen one of my lovely pets mutilated by her flockmates, my guilt was eliminated. Chickens even love to eat chicken. Of course I don't have a problem with people eating a vegetarian/vegan diet, but I think I have canines for a reason. I do question your statement that humans are primarily carnivorous. I have a biology degree and a healthcare related degree. I have had years (a sickening amount of years) of courses in anatomy, physiology, evolutionary biology, and even a couple of nutrition classes. I am not an expert on the topic as I am not a dietician, but I was always taught that humans are omnivores, not primarily carnivorous. I have also been taught that the evolutionary development of a large human brain, relative to that of other species, was supported by a diet rich in meat protein. And, I just read that the current dietary recommendations are for 2-6.5 ounce-equivalents (depending on your personal characteristics) each day according to choosemyplate.gov where dietary recommendations can be found. (This all made me a little curious.) So, again I am not a dietician, but I dont think the current recommendation is primarily a carnivorous diet. Just a little food for thought. I do like a good friendly debate:D

Back
Top Bottom