No Money? Bartering In This Economy!

The local farmer that I get most of my produce from in the spring and summer is thrilled to trade for eggs and spare roosters, which thrills me, because quality food is so expensive right now!

I had one deal last fall, to trade a Narragansett tom to a local CSA farmer in exchange for a basket of food that would have cost me $60 to buy--likewise, if I'd sold the bird for cash, I might've gotten what--$20?

Quote:
I could PM you a picture if you'd like to see it.

Please do.
big_smile.png

Well I thought I could do this in a PM, I guess since the 69 SS had bartered parts and is relevant to this thread, I hope the OP doesn't mind my putting up this pic.

044_44-1-1.jpg

I bartered eight weeks of eggs (dozen a week) for one of my son's homeschool enrichment classes! Money is way tight this month--everything always comes due at the same time and our car insurance just doubled--and every little bit helps! I also bartered housecleaning for a mini donkey a couple of years ago.

I buy and sell hay so I try to barter when I can. So far I've gotten 25 chickens a goat and a roll of fencing bartering. Last weekend I bartered hay for another goat that was advertised for $125 and also bred, I only spent $70 out of pocket for the hay. So I definitely think bartering is the way to go now days. Now I'm in the process of getting a couple of butcher hogs. By the time I trade hay for the hogs and sell the rest of the meat, I will have no out of pocket expense. There are so many ways to cut costs of living. You just have to think about what you have to offer to others.

This spring/summer/and fall I will be trading 2 loaves of homemade whole wheat bread and 2 dozen homemade soft pretzels a week for as much produce as I need out of my friend's garden. She has some acreage and our small city lot is maxed out. We are both happy with the set-up.

We have HAD to take barters because some of our customers are in such bad shape, we know we will never get paid otherwise.

A retired school teacher helps my daughter with her reading skills one night a week and I give her eggs, venison and occasionally some beef from my fathers farm in exchange for her help. It works out perfect.

Beautiful car Steve. Does it still have the 396? Is it a 325,350 or 375 horse. You got to share some specs.

Did Year One barter some eggs, LOL?

I'm jealous

Back
Top Bottom