No more kiddie pools :(

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
We have one of those smaller plastic kiddie pools, which worked well for two ducks. Now that i have a dozen (one big girl and eleven growing kids) i was wanting to upgrade to the larger size. i went to Lowes and bought all the connectors that Katharina recommended to put a drain in, then went to ToysRUs expecting to pick up that larger pool. They're out! i've called everywhere - Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Big Lots, and seems they are a seasonal item and no one has them in stock.
sad.png

i've searched craigslist, then posted asking for one - nothing. So now i have a little kiddie pool with 12 ducks fighting over who gets to swim. Any suggestions for a larger pool until next Spring? i've looked at pond forms but they are expensive (!).

I know!! I tried to get them all summer and when I did finally find some, they were an hour and a half away and I was afraid to bend them to get them into the back seat of the Honda, so had to let them go . . .

I dont have experience with ducks but what about the pond liners (not the plastic hard ones but the vinyl tarp looking kind?) I have a small garden pond and its held up wonderfully but like I said no ducks here though I did think about it lol.

Well if you can't find one or get one shipped the cheapest pool liners would be the 30 dollar 7x10ft rubber liners at lowes. Or you could get several small tubs. Someone on here used oil pans bought from walmart.

You can easily make a pool with landscape timbers or cross ties and pond liner. Just stack your timbers, screw or nail them together, then line it with pond liner (I think you can get it at Lowes/Home Depot). Have the liner drape over the outside of your timbers and put landscape rocks or another timber over the liner to hold it down on the outside. Fill with water and...you have a pond. You can make it as deep or shallow as you want, just depends on how many timbers you want to use. Landscape timbers are not too expensive and are easily moved around. Cross ties are bigger, but also too heavy for one person to move.

Also pretty expensive, but we love our Rubbermaid stock tank, and you should be able to get them year round. We have the 50 gallon size for four ducks. It is the only size that doesn't include a drain, but there is a place to install one, and you can buy one specifically made for it. We use the ball valve like Katharina - the parts list is probably a little different, but it's the same idea.

(The drain doesn't show in the picture.)

64917_img_2639.jpg

Home Depot or Lowes both carry cement mixing tubs in two sizes. I believe they run about 6 for the small and 10 for the larger one.

Summer seems to end in August EVERYWHERE. Nobody in southern AL had any pools left at the end of August either, though I did manage to find one BIG pool.

I may end up building a timber pond for the ducks because big plastic blue pond doesn't really blend in well in my back yard LOL
Search "raised timber pond" and you'll find images and instructions.

Check out rubbermaid storage bins - they may have some large ones that would work until next year.
Or the cement mixing tubs at home improvement stores.
Anybody on CL getting rid of an old bathtub? Already has a drain LOL

Time to get creative until next summer when pools are around again.

Back
Top Bottom