no more sexlinks!

nightshade

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Jonestown Pa , Columbia County
okay so I have made up my mind that I am going to get rid of all the sexlinks I have (like 12-15) cause frankly when you 40 hens it does not matter if they all lay one egg a day, I don't have enough sales to use up one egg a day from each one. So I mid as well get rid of the red sexlinks and replace them with the fancier/ more uncommon breeds I like and get an egg every 2-3 days from each one. They will look nicer in turn make me happier to see them and I still have tons of eggs right? OR have I just completely lost it?

th.gif

Don't. Do. It.

Don't worry, once your sexlinks are 3 years old, you'll only be getting one every 2-3 days from them.
wink.png

Peak every day production in any breed, production or neat-o, drops after the 2nd or 3rd year.

I would never part with my sexlinks- they are soooooooooooooo easy and friendly.
Give the extra eggs away or boil them and feed to cats, dogs, and the chickens for extra protein. When asked to bring food to a gathering make it a quiche or devilled eggs...what a *great* problem to have!
lol.png

I got 8 this spring
I they were not the nicest chickens so I gave them away!

I did keep one very calm one! & I love getting an egg everyday but, if I walk out the door carrying something: she will jump up & hold on to what ever I am holding with her month!

I am sure this is an isolated situation just had to share!

Quote:
Not so isolated. One of my brahma hens jumped up to get a piece of bread in my hands the other day. She missed the bread, but settled for trying to swallow my finger instead. She was literally suspended in mid-air by my finger!
tongue.png

Back on topic, you should do what makes you happy. If you are not that fond of the sex links, find them a good home and go with what you like.

Quote:
I agree.
But my sex links are so cute and friendly. At least to us. When we got the new batch of chickens this year, they wanted to kill THEM. That is til the roosters grew up and got REAL big. Now my big splash Andalusian is in LOVE with the cute little orange hens and chases them all over the yard! LOL

Quote:
I have a red & a black. They are the least friendly of all of my girls. Seem very skittish as compared to the others.

I won't get rid of them, but I will avoid the breed in the future. We are more pet oriented than production minded.

THEY COMPLETE ME!

cool.png

Dash

Back
Top Bottom