No movement after external pip

AMoritz

Songster
Jul 12, 2018
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
So i had started a thread in a different area before i realized there was a section specifically for guineas (oops).
Last night between 11:30pm and 7am my 2nd guinea egg made an external pip (I think, my first time ever hatching anything) but NOTHING has happened since. I know I'm supposed to leave them but is there a time frame I should start to get worried about?

Link to previous thread is below.

Https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/1st-guinea-hatch-5-eggs-are-10-days-older.1259626/

I would give it another day before Investigating. If keets are like chicks, they take looooooong breaks after externally pipping. :) If you tap on the incubator, does it move or make a sound?

It's a styrofoam incubator so I can't hear anything unless I open the lid :/
I took my first baby out last night as he'd been in there for almost 24hrs by himself already and I knew he was gonna need food and water after the 24hr initial period. He's chirping a storm up in his brooder but I couldn't hear him at all when he was in the incubator.
Never thought about tapping, I thought tapping could harm the embryo? Or is that only at a younger age?

It's a styrofoam incubator so I can't hear anything unless I open the lid :/
I took my first baby out last night as he'd been in there for almost 24hrs by himself already and I knew he was gonna need food and water after the 24hr initial period. He's chirping a storm up in his brooder but I couldn't hear him at all when he was in the incubator.
Never thought about tapping, I thought tapping could harm the embryo? Or is that only at a younger age?
If he's externally pipped, it won't hurt him. The sound might encourage him to tap back. Some people play sounds of peeping on their phones as encouragement, maybe if it's loud enough it will make him move around a little.
Otherwise, I'd wait a little longer. It's better to be safe than to open up the incubator and accidentally shrink wrap him.

If he's externally pipped, it won't hurt him. The sound might encourage him to tap back. Some people play sounds of peeping on their phones as encouragement, maybe if it's loud enough it will make him move around a little.
Otherwise, I'd wait a little longer. It's better to be safe than to open up the incubator and accidentally shrink wrap him.

What's accidental shrink wrapping????
And if it happens, how do you fix it?

What's accidental shrink wrapping????
And if it happens, how do you fix it?
Shrink wrapping is what happens when the humidity lowers really fast, like when the incubator opens, and it dries out the membrane that the chick is trying to break through. It wraps around the chick and it can't move, or hatch.
I don't know much about what you can do, but you would probably have to break the shell and hatch him yourself.
Whatever you do, don't do that. If he's not shrink wrapped and just not ready yet, you'd kill him.
I had a chick take nearly 40 hours to hatch. So I'd just keep being patient. :)

Shrink wrapping is what happens when the humidity lowers really fast, like when the incubator opens, and it dries out the membrane that the chick is trying to break through. It wraps around the chick and it can't move, or hatch.
I don't know much about what you can do, but you would probably have to break the shell and hatch him yourself.
Whatever you do, don't do that. If he's not shrink wrapped and just not ready yet, you'd kill him.
I had a chick take nearly 40 hours to hatch. So I'd just keep being patient. :)
Good to know.... This waiting is KILLING me lol :he:barnie

I:tht is! I have 34 eggs in a 2nd inc. on day 11, these 5 were with those 34, when I candled on day 7 I was like holy crap these guys are almost ready to hatch. Which means the 20+ eggs cinnamon Queen broody is sitting on should be hatching any day now too, and I thought they were duds

Back
Top Bottom