No of Chickens per coop...

timp123

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Georgetown, Indiana
I'm wanting to check on a few stats, that I am not sure of... I have a 6x11 coop... with an attached 10x10 run... and 3 nesting boxes. I currently have 13, 3 month old chicks in my coop... waiting to see.. how many roosters I have, before narrowing them down to 1 Rooster... Once I have that.. how many chickens can I comfortably house in my coop?

Thanks in advance for the input!
big_smile.png

009-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

The general rule of thumb seems to be 4 s.f. per chicken in a coop and 10 s.f. per chicken in a run. That would be optimal living conditions. You now have to factor in your climate such as long winters cooped up or run area plus free ranging, etc.

Another question I forgot to ask.. I used hardware cloth for the flooring.. wanted to make it easier to keep the coop cleaned out of poo... but the forseable issue... is Winter.. what do you recommend we do to help them from freezing? I'm about 15 min's northwest of Louisville Ky, on the Indiana side.. so winters are rarely harsh.. but cold enough at times...

011-1.jpg

Thanks so much!
smile.png

Last edited:
I have plywood that goes up in the winter all around the run to keep out snow and wind. We just unscrew and take them down again in the spring. Maybe you can make some flooring and do that to your coop floors for winter and add a poop board which would cut 95% of poop in the coop. I couldn't be without a poop board, takes 20 seconds to scrape off and the coop is clean again.

ETA: I wouldn't really recommend the hardware cloth flooring personally. I looked at your pics again, how do you get under the coop to clean?

Last edited:
As cold as it can get...your chickens walking around on cold metal in the middle of winter is not a good thing. If it goes below 40...even with no wind will be hard for them to stay warm and walk around. I would suggest you putting a floor in (maybe just for with winter until it warms up) and putting deep shavings down.

Back
Top Bottom