No-Shell Egg laid at night time

briannamonique16

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2023
So recently, my 22week old flock has started laying eggs. For the past two days, this chick had been going in and out of the nesting box like she’s getting ready to lay. Tonight, I count all them in the coop and I notice she seems constipated on the roosting bar. Then bam, an egg just drops! Mind you, it is 8pm… It had no shell and this is her first egg. Is this normal? Or something to be concerned about? My other three have been laying normally and in the nesting box every morning.

I've wondered about this. Sometimes I've seen egg yolk or white in a nest with no shell. I've been thinking somebody must have eaten the shell. But usually they eat the yolk or white, too. Maybe this is a better explanation.
Yea I have found that too, in newer laying hens they will lay shell-less and it only has a flimsy coating that the chickens peck it bursts. So most likely yours was shell-less as well

So recently, my 22week old flock has started laying eggs. For the past two days, this chick had been going in and out of the nesting box like she’s getting ready to lay. Tonight, I count all them in the coop and I notice she seems constipated on the roosting bar. Then bam, an egg just drops! Mind you, it is 8pm… It had no shell and this is her first egg. Is this normal? Or something to be concerned about? My other three have been laying normally and in the nesting box every morning.
Did it ever stop? My two were laying normal for 6 days straight (new layers) and then the last 4 days no egg from 2 of them, they laid shell-less eggs for a few days. I have not gotten a normal egg since from the two, but other two are normal. I am wondering if it's too hot here in FL

Thanks for this post. I also wondered about a shell-less egg in the nest box and a thin shell egg dropped from the roosting bar. Thanks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom