no shell or yolk is this possible

methow hen

Hatching
8 Years
May 12, 2011
I thought one of my hens (they have only been laying eggs for a month) was eating her eggs but today she was in the nest and we checked back in a short time
all there was was goo (egg white) not a speck of yolk or shell? last week we had the same thing? could she be laying eggs without yolk or shell?
thanks
sad.png

I don't know about no yolk but I've got a chicken that lays eggs with shells so thin they break all the time and once it was so thin that it was really just a membrane with a dusting of shell. It was like picking up jello.

Since she's a new layer she could be still working out the kinks of making an egg. Do you have layer feed and oyster shell available for her? If not, you will want to add those things to help her along. My Snow White, White Leghorn, laid a week's worth of hard shelled eggs then about a weeks worth of alternating between no egg and soft shelled - I thought for sure she was defective - LOL! Then one day she started laying perfectly formed hard shelled eggs and has every since. I switched her to Purina's Layena and oystershell and she has been doing great.

Back
Top Bottom