no subject anymore

dave27889

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Washington, NC
Edited to remove identifying information...

This topic is fine for discussion if it sticks to keeping someone/their birds safe/biosecurity, etc. Please be careful not to bring up specific individuals and name them, as this could be perceived as flaming. Thanks!

~Lisa~

I found an ad on eggbid and contacted the seller. He has several things for sale. I emailed him and got this strange reply.

David ,
I don't live that far from you ,I could drop some off if you'd like. Don't take it personally but I'm not big on visitors, especially ones I meet on the internet.I've got as much broke down mess and old pens as the next guy so it's not that, theres just some people out there that I don't have any use for .Let me know what kind you need and we'll go from there I have 3 or 4 on eggbid . I'm not saying your a crazy I'm just saying.........

Is this wierd or what. I was trying to keep from shipping the eggs if I even did bid on them. He does not have any reviews and last night he had no bids on his eggs. He claims to have made a new dark egg laying chicken.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 eggs ,I have been breeding my own style of dark egg layers and they come the same every time now.Constant dark eggs all season long.They have both penedesenca and maran blood in them. I have breed them to the point now that they are their own bird.This is the real deal and I wont offer these any more after spring.​

Last edited:
Dave,
Not unusual at all, think of it this way, if you have several thousand dollars and thousands of hours invested in your flock would you want to invite everyone you meet over the internet over to see them especially if your location isn't the most burglar proof? I sell locally and rarely allow people to pick up their eggs/chicks/birds, the largest reason why is the concern of theft after the sale, I have several birds I paid $100 for and only people who know their value are interested in them, to others they are just chickens.
Peace,
Dave

Last edited:
I agree. I have heard of people getting *visitors* and then having birds stolen after.....

No he's smart. It's also called bio-security. You aren't supposed to have chicken people come visit your chickens. You don't know what they can bring with them on their shoes etc. I think he handled it very nicely. I'd buy from him if I were planning on buying.

BTW, I can't seem to keep people away and I love to show off my girls. I'm horrible at bio-security

Last edited:
I agree. Did you see the post spookyevilone made about her episode with people coming to buy birds? She is lucky she didn't get hurt by those idiots. I don't think it's weird at all. He is just trying to protect his home and investment, imo. And the fact that he offered to bring them to you? I think he is just saving his butt, so to speak.

I wouldn't doubt that he did get a dark egg layer from those types, both are dark egg layers from what I've heard. Though, I don't know why someone would mix them, since they both lay dark eggs.
idunno.gif

Maybe ask if you could be met somewhere in town near his home instead. Also if it were me and I would be home alone I would never want anyone to come I really didn't know. You can never be to safe. I also agree about the theft, I talked to a nice lady about some goats the other day who has had 3 sets of her goats disappear within hours of people coming to look because of her ad's. They say they will come back in a few days to get them then the next day her goats are gone.

I can see both sides. I for one, dont really care for people coming to my place. I've always been a very private person - I'm a stay at home mom with three small kids....I dont like strange people knowing where I live. I dont like drop in guests.....etc etc.

There's the issue of bio security, like the previous poster mentioned.....

Now, having said that - does he have something to hide? Maybe. Have you asked if his flock is tested by the state? If he can provide you a certificate that his flock is clean, I wouldnt worry about it. Maybe he could meet you somewhere mutually convenient to avoid shipping.

Good luck,
Kristen

if he is taking precautions, then he should understand if you take the same precautions. do not let him come to your home either..

meet him someplace public in a large parking lot and take somebody with you..

I have done this ..

many times we will end up at a nearby coffee spot and I usually buy..

I have met many dear friends this way..

There is a lady on a local poultry list I am on that has had nice birds stolen 3 times!! She has installed locks and then just break them off or find other ways in. Once her husband caught them in the act, it was "friends" of hers that she had given some birds too, they evidently decided they wanted more and helped themselves.

I have heard it happening in birds, rabbits, litters of puppies, and more. You can't be too careful these days. Then there was the sicko a few years ago that came to some ladies home to look at her puppies. She came back later, attacked her, cut her baby out of her belly and left her to bleed to death. She met this lady on the internet, emailed her back and forth several times, met her in person at a dog show, then invited to her house to look at puppies later. SICK PEOPLE OUT THERE, so be careful!

Back
Top Bottom