No. Va. - Lots of bantams available free in Nov. SOME PICS NOW!!!

Hey Wanda! Nice to see you here! Oh dear. I'm so out of the loop! I had no idea about the new rules. LOL Somebody told me the silkie is a partridge. Whatever she is, she's gorgeous. I'll check out the "rocks" combs tomorrow. Can't recall their combs off the top of my head. Don't you want them??!!
smile.png

Here's a closer up pic of her. What do you think? That doesn't look like a rosecomb to me but I'm no expert.

IMG_3209_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ellen, it is small compared to Bridgette's but my BLRW, Blanche, has a comb that looks like that, more of a peacomb then a rosecomb, I know for a while there I was getting a little concerned about Bridgette't gender, because I was comparing her comb to Blanche's,til she layed that first egg ;-) but your probably right, you have had a lot more experience then I with different breeds. Wish you were closer, it is very tempting. I got a feeling you will get homes for all the pullets by the end of the festival though and one rooster is enough. I keep him in the house at night and I think he gives my little pom a headache with his crowing.

Wanda

Hey Ellen,

If you're SURE they're rocks, we'd be interested in them as well. But the thought of wyandottes is making hubby squirm a bit. We've got a pair of banty partridge wyandottes now, and they have no personality AT ALL. They always run from us, and don't even come out and chat at treat time like the other ladies. They don't even lay eggs, they have no purpose (other than their beauty of course, they are gorgeous!).. So if your ladies are rocks, then they may be replacements for the other two, which we are sure to be finding a new home for very soon...

Any idea on the breeds/genders of the new chicks yet? My son is getting so excited!

Kikster - How old are your wyandottes? I can say exactly the opposite with mine. They each lay about 4 eggs a week and Bridgette, the SLW that I got from Ellen last year, is very friendly, more so then Blanche but she is still outgoing, maybe it depends on their status in the pecking order(?)

Wanda

Wanda,

We got our girls from someone who was giving their farm away, and all they could tell us (about all of their hens) was that they were 1-3 years. I'm assuming their close to 2 yrs now, but they act like OLD ladies! My son enjoys having chickens and they all come running up to him/myself/hubby when we come w/treats, except those 2! They just stay tucked under a tree or bush and don't come out. We keep hoping they'll come out of their shell, or at least lay, but nothing. They have been on a SUPER long molt for the last couple of months, though, and they do appear to be at the bottom of the pecking order (not sure if their demeanor put them on the bottom, or if being on the bottom caused their lack of vitality for life).

My hubby and son call them Dodo birds, lol, because they just sit there, lifeless at all times. I dunno know? We've tried giving them protein (cat food) thinking maybe since their in a molt... We've had them since Aug 6, and they've been in a molt ever since their move, and have never laid...

So "wyandotte" is taboo to hubby's ears right now. The only reason I've been able to talk hubby into keeping them this long, is because they don't eat hardly a thing, so it's not like they're costing us much to keep them. Now if they laid an egg....

that's too bad your first experience with them is negative, I have been very happy with mine. I wonder if the color makes a difference. I read once that non-white leghorns don't lay as well as the standard white ones and maybe that is true of certain colors in other breeds.

Wanda

I told hubby last night about your experience, and he seems willing to give them another shot
big_smile.png

He still seemed a bit worried though, but he thought they were pretty in the pic. We really wanted those Buff Cochins though, they are so pretty and I LOVE our banty cochin!

that's good, whether their rocks or wyandottes they should lay about the same. BTW - is it possible the partridge are moulting? That after the stress of being moved could cause them to stop laying for awhile, also the days are getting shorter so that slows them down unless you provide artificial light. I have a cuckoo marans that hasn't layed for about 3 weeks due to moulting. She actually moulted a lot back in June and didn't lay for at least a month. This time it is lighter so I'm thinking these are the feathers she didn't loose during the last moult. The only other of my hens that does a very noticable moult is my salmon faverolle, when she moults, it looks like a chicken exploded.

The cochins are very pretty, I have 2 mille fleur. I was tempted when I saw the birchen and the marbled silkie but I am over 2 hrs away and didn't think I would be up to the drive this year, maybe next year ;-)

Wanda

Back
Top Bottom