1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No yolks in seasoned layers eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dancingJaye, May 2, 2016.

1. dancingJaye

dancingJaye New Egg

May 2, 2016
    No Yolks in a seasoned layer
    No Yolks in a seasoned layer
    a few seconds ago
    dancingJaye

This is Athusa, my 2 yr old Gold sexlink hen. She's been one of my most faithful layers until about 4-6 weeks ago, when she stopped laying. She wasn't acting quite herself. We haven't been able to identify mites or worms or anything else.

Three days ago, she started laying again...this was her first offering:

A little bit of yolky stuff in a much smaller than normal egg. The two that have followed have no yolks and are small.

I've seen threads about newbies and their "fairy eggs" but nothing about a veteran layer doing this. Can anyone advise me? I'm kinda at a loss here. I'm thrilled she's starting to lay again, but things aren't normal and I don't know what to do for her.

Thanks!

2. dancingJaye

dancingJaye New Egg

May 2, 2016
    Argh, my pics didn't post! Let me try again here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I have seen eggs like that from my more experienced layers. The causes could be anything from stress to disease. Have you changed anything in or around the coop, had a predator attack, anything unusual happen?

In the meantime, here is some info on egg abnormalities that may help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be illness/infection...could just be the end of the line, sexlinks are high production birds, they often burnout around 2 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by