Nobody Survived!

DaCheez

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
I went out to my coop today to take care of my chickens, only to find that all seven of them were killed.
sad.png
:mad: I've had predator attacks before, but never had all of my birds terminated like this. They all had tiny bite marks on the back of their necks, and one was missing her head. They weren't eaten at all, but there were feathers everywhere. They all died together in one group (for the most part; a few were scattered about). I found a small hole dug under the corner of the chicken coop where the culprit must have gotten in. I'm thinking it was either a small dog or more likely a weasel. Anyone have any other ideas of what type of predator it may have been?
I set a live trap next to the hole going into the coop and I hope the predator comes back tonight so I don't have to worry about this happening again (though I doubt it'll come back as there's nothing left to kill).
I've been raising chickens for ten years, and now it feels very strange to suddenly not own any at all.
sad.png
I'll be getting some more birds very soon...

Sound like a weasel.I'm so sorry that's such an awful thing to happen.Poor babies, it must be terrible knowing your trapped and can't get away.

Oh my worst nightmare. I'm so sorry that happened. I hope you catch the little (bad word) that did that!
barnie.gif

Keep us posted if you find out what it was. These horrible events can sometimes be a learning tool for others. I'm really really sorry.
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear about your tradegy. That has got to hurt. Sounds like possibly a weasel or mink. Hope you get it before you get more chicks. Good luck.

Im really sorry that you lost your whole flock. I dont know what other predators you have in your area, but the head being bitten off sounds like a possum or small raccoon, if not the weasel that you suspect. I hope that you trap what ever it is. My DD trapped about 6 small possums last fall using cat food and marshmallows.

When you fix the hole, bury some fencing down about a foot, or run in out on the ground around the coop to prevent digging in.

Check our buy sell trade section for eggs or birds of all ages to replace your flock.
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC.

Chel

I'm so sorry!

We had an attack awhile back and have no doubt it was a fischer. Not sure where you are, but here in CT , they have become quite a nuisance.

"Weasel or mink" screams the little voice in the back of my mind..

Although, I've heard that they will drag them into a pile. He probably didn't nab them all in the same spot, unless they were roosting there..

Sorry to hear about it. Predators do not usually bother me all that much, but the weasels get under my skin, I suppose it is the surplus killing that bugs me..

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom