Noisy hens--might disturb neighbors

BruceAZ

Songster
May 18, 2016
Valley of the Sun :)
My hens are starting to make the same noises like the ones in these videos

one is the egg song and the other is like some groaning sound ???

this might become a nuisance problem for the neighbors....
sad.png
since they keep doing it though out the day.. mostly the groaning sounds..

sometimes i can hear it from inside the house (doors and windows closed)

if i got a notice from the HOA i'll not bother fighting it (don't see the point of wasting the time and money for the legal battle)

but any tips to reduce this particular behavior ?

thanks

0.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited:
Agree with Sourland - they are the sounds of contented chickens. (When my chickens are NOT content, they complain a LOT louder than that!) Are you not legally supposed to have chickens? If that's the case, I hope you have a Plan B for when you are told to get rid of them.

Agree with Sourland - they are the sounds of contented chickens. (When my chickens are NOT content, they complain a LOT louder than that!) Are you not legally supposed to have chickens? If that's the case, I hope you have a Plan B for when you are told to get rid of them.
What she said. Plus, I would like to add this: for some reason, us chicken keepers feel GUILTY when our chickens make noise. What about the neighbor's barking dog? The lawn mower, leaf blower, chain saw, the motorcycle going up and down the road? The 18 wheeler on the hill? The screaming kids or crying baby? The act of living makes noise. Would that every neighborhood would be so quiet that the loudest noise you hear is the complaining crow or blue jay. But, it just ain't so. At least when a chicken makes noise, she has something to say. Most dogs... not so much! And they can be much louder, and more persistent in their noise making. So, enjoy your chickens without guilt.

the city allows up to 5 hens..

there's nothing in the CC&Rs about chickens though

but there's a nuisance law for both the city and hoa so..

for dogs you have bark collar.. not sure about chickens..
roll.png

Last edited:
Oh - well if they're legal, I'd suggest being proactive and start bringing eggs to your neighbors. Or, make them treats with your eggs (I make angel food cake from scratch that is a favorite with family and friends).

Oh - well if they're legal, I'd suggest being proactive and start bringing eggs to your neighbors. Or, make them treats with your eggs (I make angel food cake from scratch that is a favorite with family and friends).

that might work.. only if i have enough eggs :/

i'll try negative reinforcement with my hens..

will use a spray bottle (with water).. let see if it will work..

i think this is their way of calling me out to give them treats or letting them out..

Last edited:
that might work.. only if i have enough eggs :/

i'll try negative reinforcement with my hens..

will use a spray bottle (with water).. let see if it will work..

i think this is their way of calling me out to give them treats or letting them out..

To be honest, if you're THAT worried about the sound your chickens make, maybe you should rehome them. I don't see the spray bottle thing working out that well. I know chickens can be trained, but I don't think you can train them to be silent.

Last edited:
Surely it would take a complaint from more than one neighbor. How likely is it really, that several unreasonable neighbors band together. If they come to you first point out that they don't make any noise from dusk till dawn, unlike dogs & cats.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom