non-broody fowl keepers

Pics
For real though!! :th

I have one with eggs hatching underneath her as we speak. I have a list a mile long of the things I am currently worried about with this whole process--will she take to the chicks, will they take to her, will she kill them accidentally out of inexperience, will the other birds attack them if they happen to get away from their mama, will they get lost in the dark and chill, etc. etc. etc. I fail to see how this is less stressful than just hatching and brooding them myself!! :th

OK you cannot complain, you have some of the prettiest cochins on this forum! They're too pretty to mess brooding up

This is a thread for all of us unlucky people who have yet to have a broody, or a broody successfully hatch out babies so that we don't annoy all of you normies with our constant complaining on the matter. You can each keep a record of how long you've been waiting for a broody (if you've ever had one that is) it goes without saying, that broody you are so eager to have can be a chicken, a duck, a goose....you get the idea. This thread is of course a thread where you can complain about all your failed attempts of course. I've not had a broody in 11 years, so in other words I've never had a chicken go broody on me. @Canadian Wind , @BelovedBirds , @JacinLarkwell , @Isadora , @New duck mommy 2021 , @Tonyroo come join the fun (or rather lack thereof)! You all know my drama on this topic a little more than others, or have personally fallen victim to the broody drought
If you can get a couple of Dorkings ( mine are colored Dorkings) they are AMAZING broodies and great mommas also. I had good luck with Speckled Sussex being broody, but they didn't stay with the chicks as long - 4-5 weeks at best. I think Sand Hill Preservation still has Dorkings, Speckled Sussex and a cross of the two breeds. I'm hoping to get some more and try the cross also. Good luck!!!:thumbsup

OK you cannot complain, you have some of the prettiest cochins on this forum! They're too pretty to mess brooding up

I sure hope that's the case! :fl If not, I think I have the space in the brooder to take them in and rear them myself, it would just set back me setting the next batch of eggs another week so that I can make sure there's a brooder clear for them. 😩

If you can get a couple of Dorkings ( mine are colored Dorkings) they are AMAZING broodies and great mommas also.

I cannot recommend Dorkings enough just in general! My absolute favorite breed for their docility and great temperaments. I just love those big ol Dorks! :love

For real though!! :th

I have one with eggs hatching underneath her as we speak. I have a list a mile long of the things I am currently worried about with this whole process--will she take to the chicks, will they take to her, will she kill them accidentally out of inexperience, will the other birds attack them if they happen to get away from their mama, will they get lost in the dark and chill, etc. etc. etc. I fail to see how this is less stressful than just hatching and brooding them myself!! :th
One of my cochins was a great sitter and mom, she’s the one currently broody again.

The other Cochin great sitter but wasn’t as protective of her babies. One got injured at a week old by either her or another older bird, so I brought her in for the day and treated her injuries. Tried to put her back under momma that night and she started attacking the babies. Tried again in the morning before first light and she still didn’t want any part of the baby. Ended up bringing all 3 babies in to finish brooding myself.

I agree. It is VERY stressful and nerve wracking lol.

If you can get a couple of Dorkings ( mine are colored Dorkings) they are AMAZING broodies and great mommas also. I had good luck with Speckled Sussex being broody, but they didn't stay with the chicks as long - 4-5 weeks at best. I think Sand Hill Preservation still has Dorkings, Speckled Sussex and a cross of the two breeds. I'm hoping to get some more and try the cross also. Good luck!!!:thumbsup

Now it's too late unfortunately. Don't have any more spare pens for chicks. In addition, I live in Greece and that makes tracking down certain breeds a struggle 

I sure hope that's the case! :fl If not, I think I have the space in the brooder to take them in and rear them myself, it would just set back me setting the next batch of eggs another week so that I can make sure there's a brooder clear for them. 😩

I cannot recommend Dorkings enough just in general! My absolute favorite breed for their docility and great temperaments. I just love those big ol Dorks! :love

When I read Dorkings I immediately thought of yours :lau

This is a thread for all of us unlucky people who have yet to have a broody, or a broody successfully hatch out babies so that we don't annoy all of you normies with our constant complaining on the matter. You can each keep a record of how long you've been waiting for a broody (if you've ever had one that is) it goes without saying, that broody you are so eager to have can be a chicken, a duck, a goose....you get the idea. This thread is of course a thread where you can complain about all your failed attempts of course. I've not had a broody in 11 years, so in other words I've never had a chicken go broody on me. @Canadian Wind , @BelovedBirds , @JacinLarkwell , @Isadora , @New duck mommy 2021 , @Tonyroo come join the fun (or rather lack thereof)! You all know my drama on this topic a little more than others, or have personally fallen victim to the broody drought
That eyeball picture though lol!

Back
Top Bottom