non-broody fowl keepers

Pics
I have a broody Marans hen that just turned a year old. She is very broody even though she has no eggs. I am trying to decide if I should give her eggs or not.

Do you want any chicks right now, and do you have fertilized eggs, or would you be willing to get some? If the answer is yeas then I say let her hatch!

Do you want any chicks right now, and do you have fertilized eggs, or would you be willing to get some? If the answer is yeas then I say let her hatch!
I do have fertilized eggs and I do kind of want chicks but I have the Seramas sitting on eggs. Come to think of it though, I do kind of want to hatch some olive eggers...

What is your experience with letting hens raise their chicks with the flock? Because that's what I'm planning to do with them, for the foreseeable future. If not I'd have to start building:lau
It's gone perfectly for me each time and I've had 3 different broodies raise chicks.
The moms were qlways protective of their chicks and I had no issues with either poor mothering skills.
I do have a ton of space, though. That's very important.

This is a thread for all of us unlucky people who have yet to have a broody, or a broody successfully hatch out babies so that we don't annoy all of you normies with our constant complaining on the matter. You can each keep a record of how long you've been waiting for a broody (if you've ever had one that is) it goes without saying, that broody you are so eager to have can be a chicken, a duck, a goose....you get the idea. This thread is of course a thread where you can complain about all your failed attempts of course. I've not had a broody in 11 years, so in other words I've never had a chicken go broody on me. @Canadian Wind , @BelovedBirds , @JacinLarkwell , @Isadora , @New duck mommy 2021 , @Tonyroo come join the fun (or rather lack thereof)! You all know my drama on this topic a little more than others, or have personally fallen victim to the broody drought
This is a thread for all of us unlucky people who have yet to have a broody, or a broody successfully hatch out babies so that we don't annoy all of you normies with our constant complaining on the matter. You can each keep a record of how long you've been waiting for a broody (if you've ever had one that is) it goes without saying, that broody you are so eager to have can be a chicken, a duck, a goose....you get the idea. This thread is of course a thread where you can complain about all your failed attempts of course. I've not had a broody in 11 years, so in other words I've never had a chicken go broody on me. @Canadian Wind , @BelovedBirds , @JacinLarkwell , @Isadora , @New duck mommy 2021 , @Tonyroo come join the fun (or rather lack thereof)! You all know my drama on this topic a little more than others, or have personally fallen victim to the broody drought
I've had one hatch in the past and I believe the hen was a black sex link. She hatched out 5 chicks if I remember correctly.
We just had our golden laced wyandotte hatch out 2 chicks yesterday - It took 23 days. We've been learning a lot as we go along. I didn't separate her at first but was having the issue of my other hens crowding in with her to lay their eggs (rather than using the other 2 nesting boxes) and had a couple of the broody's eggs left out from under her as they pushed her off of them. We started with 7 eggs. A couple weren't fertile and several got cold. We moved her into her own coop (hurriedly purchased from TSC). She's been pretty happy in their and we added a 60watt bulb since its been so darn cold and rainy here in NY.
We have also started incubating 22 eggs in the house. We don't need 22 chickens but are assuming a 50-60% hatch rate based on what we've read. We are also assuming a percentage of roosters which will be butchered when big enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
I've had one hatch in the past and I believe the hen was a black sex link. She hatched out 5 chicks if I remember correctly.
We just had our golden laced wyandotte hatch out 2 chicks yesterday - It took 23 days. We've been learning a lot as we go along. I didn't separate her at first but was having the issue of my other hens crowding in with her to lay their eggs (rather than using the other 2 nesting boxes) and had a couple of the broody's eggs left out from under her as they pushed her off of them. We started with 7 eggs. A couple weren't fertile and several got cold. We moved her into her own coop (hurriedly purchased from TSC). She's been pretty happy in their and we added a 60watt bulb since its been so darn cold and rainy here in NY.
We have also started incubating 22 eggs in the house. We don't need 22 chickens but are assuming a 50-60% hatch rate based on what we've read. We are also assuming a percentage of roosters which will be butchered when big enough.

Welcome! What a beautiful broody girl! :love

Back
Top Bottom