Non-chemical management of worms and other critters

KnitswithChickens

Songster
14 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Vermont
I would love to be able to care for my chickens as naturally as possible without using man-made chemicals and medications. How can you treat or prevent worms without de-wormers, or is this just an unrealiatic dream?

Is DE the best treatment for fleas, mites etc. Apart from sprinkling it in the coop, run and adding a little to the feed, is there anything else I should do with it? I purchased food grade DE.

Thanks

Quote:
There are several suggested "natural" non-chemical remedies for pests. garlic, vinegar, pumpkin seeds, wood ashes and DE are just a few. Try doing a search. It's at the top of the page in the blue bar. Plan on reading for a LONG while.

Good luck,

Imp

Hi
I also prefer natural solutions rather than drugs. I have fed my chicks lavender flowers from the time they were little. They LOVE it.
Lavender is good for so many things. The DE is a great suggestion too. We use that but they don't seem that interested in it. Maybe they don't really need it too much.
Anyway, just a thought.
thumbsup.gif

Great, I have plenty of lavender, I'll see if they like to eat the blooms. Thanks for the great suggestions - there were a lot of hits on the search!
th.gif
I'll be putting off the laundry for a while!

Back
Top Bottom